Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jan Danielsson <ja...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/11 00:00:32 UTC

Backup and maintenance

   I know the docs say that the hot-copy script should be used. But what
problems am I looking at if I run "svnadmin dump /path/to/repository"
and piping it through bzip2 in my daily maintenance?

--
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson

Re: Backup and maintenance

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
----- Jan Danielsson <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
> > Right, for daily maintenance of just having the dump there for
> backup
> > purposes, svnadmin dump is fine.
>
>    Excellent, thanks.
>
>    But it won't matter if someone uses the depot at Just The Wrong Time?
> I'm not saying that's an issue, but I'd like to know for future
> reference.

There's no issue doing that.  'svnadmin dump' will record the start and stop revisions, and start dumping.  You can't change history (the contents of the file, etc), and revision property updates happen atomically, so there's no concern about dumping the repository while people are using it.

HTH!

-John

Re: Backup and maintenance

Posted by Jan Danielsson <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Backup and maintenance

Posted by Mark <ma...@mitsein.net>.

On 11/10/06, Russ <rs...@istandfor.com> wrote:
> I believe the difference is that with the hotcopy script you can just copy the repo and start using it.. With svnadmin dump you would need to reload the dump into a new repo which can take a long time for large repositories.
>
> Russ
> Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.

Mark
"Blessed is he who finds happiness in his own foolishness, for he will
always be happy."

Re: Backup and maintenance

Posted by Russ <rs...@istandfor.com>.