Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org> on 2019/12/20 12:30:43 UTC

[DISCUSS] Daffodil 2.5.0 Release

I think we're overdue for another release, and we have a lot of nice
features and bug fixes that people should start using. This includes
UDFs, BLOBs, unordered sequences, improved type safety, initial compiler
speed up changes, 2GB+ file support, and much more. And all non
work-in-progress pull requests have been merged.

The only outstanding issue I'm aware of is a potential performance
degradation in 2.5.0, but after some discussions it sounds like that is
likely related to the spectre/meltdown patches, and not recent code
changes. And we likely won't know for sure until after the new year.

So I suggest that we start the process to release 2.5.0 from the current
state of Daffodil, hopefully with the dev@daffodil.a.o and
general@incubator.a.o voting finishing and releasing sometime in early
January. If it turns out there is a legitimate performance degradation,
we can fix that and issue a point release.

Any thoughts/objections? If not, I'll volunteer to be the release
manager and start the process on Monday.

- Steve

Re: [DISCUSS] Daffodil 2.5.0 Release

Posted by "Sloane, Brandon" <bs...@tresys.com>.
+1