Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2012/12/01 18:01:31 UTC

Re: L10n tools is no longer needed.

On 28/11/2012 janI wrote:
> I have had a look, and the tool does with a few exceptions, what genLang
> was supposed to do. There are no reason to make parallel developments so
> the l10n development has been stopped.

Reading the description it seems it can be used as a basis to improve
the Apache OpenOffice localization process too. As others already
pointed out in this discussion, there are some good arguments for making
a stand-alone project out of this tool, and this seems a reasonable
solution.

> Would it not be a wonderful world, if openSource was truly open and we
> could share ... why are we
> as volunteers not trying harder to reach that goal.

How much harder? I think it's hard to try harder. Three recent examples,
all coming from the official Apache blog or consensus on mailing lists:

- our FOSDEM offer to share a devroom:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201210.mbox/%3C50904023.6050502@apache.org%3E

- my ApacheCon presentation
http://s.apache.org/openoffice-aceu2012-day-1

- code contributions Apache OpenOffice is making to LibreOffice
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/good_news_libreoffice_is_integrating

So the Apache OpenOffice side did show willingness to cooperate. But
cooperation needs willingness on both sides.

> If I were PMC I would have one high priority on my list

I quite disagree on two points here:

1) You seem to believe Apache OpenOffice is not seeing this as high
priority, while I believe Apache OpenOffice is really the only active
party in this discussion.

2) You imply that only PMC members can make a change. This is not true.
Not being a committer may prevent a contributor from getting things
done, but not being a PMC member does not prevent anyone from being
heard or influential.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: L10n tools is no longer needed.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 12/2/12 7:12 PM, janI wrote:
> thanks rob for clarifying it.
>
> It just shows how wrong my thought were, but I have been searching to find
> documentation on the split, reasons why, person conflicts etc...that seems
> buried quite deep (maybe for good reasons), and the IBM approach to LO also
> seems quite hard to find, so please understand why  I had the impression
> that we are more talking than doing.
>
> Being new, it is really hard to understand, and asking people from LO, just
> gives the answer that they want to be independent of companies.

I believe it is a valid goal to be independent and it is the same goal
for the ASF. When you take a closer look on LO my impression is that
major parts of the development work is done by Suse and RedHat. If Suse
and or RedHat stop their development work it will be a major problem for
LO. For AOO it is of course IBM at the moment that did a lot of
development work but not only. The goal in both projects is to increase
the developer community and bring as much as possible new developers
from different companies or volunteers in the project.

It's a shame that some people tried to draw a wrong picture about IBM
and IBM's interest in this project. Yes IBM had taken the code of OO in
the past and built Symphony on top if it. But it's also true that IBM
made the experience that it is not easy and counterproductive in the
long term to maintain a shadow development stream of more or less the
same code base and merge bigger changes from time to time or rebase the
code. No IBM decided to stop this fork (Symphony) and work together with
the community on one public code base and one office version. An AOO IBM
edition if we will package one at all will be a pure AOO + some IBM
specific extension to integrate in IBM products, nothing more. If I
would not believe in IBM's interest I wouldn't have joined IBM.

I believe that such huge open source projects can only be successful if
you have a diverse community of volunteers as well as paid full-time
developers. And the more developers you have the better it is to move
the project forward. Show me one successful huge open source project
that is driven by part time developers only.

I would really like to see that we find a way to collaborate on the
source code level with the developers of LO to simply generate the best
outcome/result/product for our users. We have enough work to do in
different areas and it make no sense to compete against each other where
we are using more or less the same code base. We could achieve much more
when we would work together. The ASF owns the brand OpenOffice which is
still very powerful and the Apache license has proven that it works for
open source projects and allow to build a working eco system on top of it.

It is not really the open source vision in that I believe when you take
the code only in one direction.

This is my personal view only and I am still hoping for our users that
we can solve this issue in the future. We could do much more together!

Juergen

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.