Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rod Lockwood <ro...@provide.net> on 2013/08/17 21:16:49 UTC

OCR Program

Does anyone have a suggestion/recommendation for an OCR application? I
have two huge notebooks I would like to scan in and convert to documents.
I realize there will probably be some editing to do afterwards, but it
would be better than typing in everything. I used to use TextBridge when I
was using Word years ago.

This is for Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

--
Later,
Rod Lockwood

Re: OCR Program

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 15:16:49 -0400
"Rod Lockwood" <ro...@provide.net> wrote:

> Does anyone have a suggestion/recommendation for an OCR application? I
> have two huge notebooks I would like to scan in and convert to documents.
> I realize there will probably be some editing to do afterwards, but it
> would be better than typing in everything. I used to use TextBridge when I
> was using Word years ago.
>
> This is for Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

If these are handwritten notes, OCR is of little (read: no) use. You should look for a handwriting recofnition application. I have used (very briefly) one called MyScript under Windows; it is very sensitive to the style and regularity of the handwriting.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: OCR Program

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 15:16:49 -0400
"Rod Lockwood" <ro...@provide.net> wrote:

> Does anyone have a suggestion/recommendation for an OCR application? I
> have two huge notebooks I would like to scan in and convert to documents.
> I realize there will probably be some editing to do afterwards, but it
> would be better than typing in everything. I used to use TextBridge when I
> was using Word years ago.
>
> This is for Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I've used OmniPage 8/10/15 but have moved away from Windows, so now use Tesseract, which I've found very accurate. I run it under Ubuntu, but I think there may be a Windows version.
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: OCR Program

Posted by Tim Deaton <ti...@timdeaton.org>.
I use PDF Converter Pro version 7.x from Nuance - same family as
OmniPage. There are three options:
    1. Scan documents into an "image" pdf
    2. Scan into a "searchable" pdf
    3. Scan into a "searchable & editable" pdf
Then you convert the document from pdf into Word (.doc), WordPerfect,
RichText (.rtf), or Excel format.  Or you can highlight the pdf contents
and paste them into your other program (ie: AOO or LO).

My version 7 is old.  Nuance announced a sale on version 8, which is the
current version.  Normally @ $99.99, right now they're advertising
$69.99 (but not on the home page), and I found prices under $50 using
Google.

-- Tim Deaton