Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/01 14:11:39 UTC

Update on j3

Hi,

The level of activity on the j3 sandbox has been pretty nice in the
past few weeks. Would someone working on the code care to give a short
update on the latest developments? The commit messages have been
rather terse for now...

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Update on j3

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.
Hi,

>> The level of activity on the j3 sandbox has been pretty nice in the
>> past few weeks. Would someone working on the code care to give a short
>> update on the latest developments? The commit messages have been
>> rather terse for now...
>
> the goal is to have a working spi-based stack with the microkernel underneath
> (jcr2spi->spi2mk). such a stack would serve us as a POC for the technical
> viability of a MVCC-based microkernel approach. furthermore it would allow
> to benchmark the mk-based stack against jackrabbit-core and jcr2spi->spi2jcr.

To get an idea on how far this has been progressed, have a look at the
pom [1]. I just enabled the TCK test suite for the default build. The
pom lists the known issues and their reasons. All known issues which
have a fixme tag in the comment should be fixed. The other ones are
currently 'as designed' i.e. limitations which we deem acceptable for
the prototype at its current state.

> one thing we've learned so far is that the spi abstraction layer probably needs
> to be largely re-written/re-designed in order to fully take advantage of a
> MVCC-based microkernel.

That's why I branched jcr2spi, spi and spi-commons. The idea is to
evolve these into the new architecture where possible and rewrite where
necessary. There has no real work been done in this area. My large
commit [2] from today was just syntactical cleanup.

Michael

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jackrabbit/sandbox/jackrabbit-mk/jackrabbit-spi2microkernel/pom.xml?view=markup
[2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1164026

Re: Update on j3

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
hi jukka

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The level of activity on the j3 sandbox has been pretty nice in the
> past few weeks. Would someone working on the code care to give a short
> update on the latest developments? The commit messages have been
> rather terse for now...

we're still at a very early stage and the code base is still far from
stabilizing.
we're experimenting with different ideas/approaches which sometimes get
discarded soon after (much like in a proper sandbox ;). that's why commit
msgs might be terse at times.