Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by suman ray <su...@tcs.com> on 2014/02/06 16:48:03 UTC

problem with layout

I want to insert two content like the attached picture. But I can not do that
using apache fop.

Please help me with this problem.
<http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/file/n39983/problem.jpg>

Re: problem with layout

Posted by Pascal Sancho <ps...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

There is a quite old FOP branch that aims to implement fo:float (see [1])
IIRC, it was based on FOP-1196 patch (see [2]).

This issue is still open, but there is no plan to merge it to trunk.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_Floats
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOP-1196

> Hi Robert,
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> I can see your solution but my point is, the solution you provided is
> strictly content specific. And my primary requirement is, the content can
> be changed with respect to different xml and the content can be of any
> length.
>
> Until the float functionality is there in FOP,your solution is the only
> one I can use.
> But unfortunately it will not fulfill my requirement,so I have to come
> up with another layout.
>
> Regards,
> Suman Ray

pascal

RE: problem with layout

Floats are not currently supported by FOP:

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/#d0e14346

If you're not using XSLT and rather creating an actual FO document, what you could do is use an absolute positioned block-container to reproduce the effect. You would need to know how much text to put in it and follow it up with a block with some follow-on text. I created the attached PDF using that method, but as a warning it's very finicky and you'd need to add a margin to the top of the following block to ensure the correct line spacing.

Unless someone has a better suggestion it's about the best that can be done until the feature is implemented unfortunately.

Regards,

Robert Meyer

> Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 07:48:03 -0800

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: problem with layout
>
> I want to insert two content like the attached picture. But I can not do that
> using apache fop.
>
> Please help me with this problem.
> <http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/file/n39983/problem.jpg>

 output.pdf (9K) Download Attachment

http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/problem-with-layout-tp39983p39985.html
To unsubscribe from problem with layout, click here.
NAML
and any attachments. Thank you

RE: problem with layout

Posted by Robert <rm...@hotmail.co.uk>.