Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Didier Clabaut <di...@integrationdesigners.com> on 2022/01/20 07:59:02 UTC

Artemis clustering

Hi,

My client is looking at Artemis MQ for messaging. They have different teams who want to be able to maintain their own queues and topics, without other teams having any access to their setup. I'm thinking of suggesting a hub-and-spoke architecture between clusters.

Each cluster would consist of 3 VM's with two broker instances interconnected as a symmetrical cluster, they also have a static connection to a central hub cluster. Most of the messaging would occur inside the team cluster, but communication between teams would pass via the central hub cluster (max-hops=2).

I can't find any references to such an architecture, making me wonder if it's a good idea. Has anyone done such an architecture?

Kind regards,

Didier

Re: Artemis clustering

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
A hub-and-spoke topology is one of the topologies often suggested for
ActiveMQ 5.x networks of brokers. See for example
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_amq/6.1/html/using_networks_of_brokers/fmqnetworkstopologies#FMQNetworksHubSpoke
and
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/amazon-mq/latest/developer-guide/network-of-brokers.html#nob-topologies-hub
.

I personally haven't done it for Artemis but see no reason it would be any
less appropriate for your use case. It does seem like an appropriate choice
for allowing your teams the independent control you say they want, though I
don't know if a single Artemis cluster could be configured with RBAC
permissions that would control teams' access to private vs. shared
destinations. If that were possible, it might be more flexible since it
could allow access for certain destinations to be limited to some but not
all teams whereas the hub-and-spoke approach really only supports
team-private or public. But someone who knows Artemis better than me will
have to say if that's possible.

I didn't follow why a cluster would use 3 VMs to run 2 replicated brokers;
what's the other VM for?

Tim