Posted to dev@hawq.apache.org by Jimmy Da <jd...@cornell.edu> on 2015/09/30 00:31:43 UTC

Commit messages

Not a big deal, just the OCD part of me want to bring this up.

According to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HAWQ/Contributing+to+HAWQ, our
commit message should look like

HAWQ-###*.* Commit message blah blah blah

We use period '.' to separate the JIRA number and the commit message.

I don't quite feel good about the '.', so I looked up a bunch of other
Apache projects and found their separators:
hbase uses just a space
storm, hive, samza uses ":"

I really like the ":" separator as they convey the relationship between the
JIRA number and the message explaining the JIRA number.

Can we change the commit messages to
HAWQ-###: Commit message blah blah blah

Re: Commit messages

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 01:44AM, Caleb Welton wrote:
> Another related observation. The git commit hooks are setup to automatically
> close The github PRs if your commit message ends in (closes N) where N is
> your PR number - Roman please correct me if I have the syntax wrong.
>
> So when dealing with a commit from github you might use:
>
> HAWQ-1: remove .p4ignore files (closes 2)

I believe these are github hooks you're talking about? I don't believe Apache
git deals with GH PRs closing. Besides, considering that github isn't a
primary VCS of Apache, the info about GH tickets is orthogonal and of small
value. Do you want to pollute the github history with something irrelevant?

Cos

Re: Commit messages

Posted by Caleb Welton <cw...@pivotal.io>.
Hmm, I was just repeating what I heard Roman say after we were discussing
why the git PR was not auto-closed by my commit.  Maybe the problem was
that I used 'HAWQ-1:' instead of 'HAWQ-1.', mea culpa for not following the
period standard.

Which makes it more topical to the thread :)

Re: Commit messages

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 4:32 AM, Zhanwei Wang <zw...@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hi Caleb
>
> The PR will automatically close if HAWQ-XXX is in the commit message.
> "closes N" is not required.

I don't think it does. I think you've got to include the closes part. Here's
the "formal" specification of the syntax:
    https://help.github.com/articles/closing-issues-via-commit-messages/

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Commit messages