Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by kimhorn <ki...@icsglobal.net> on 2009/04/02 08:52:40 UTC

VFS Text Files with spaces don't work.

Run into a problem with VFS reading text files with fixed field length
fields, where empty fields are padded with spaces. There are a number of B2B
formats that do this.

If the empty fields are at the start or end of the file then when these are
inserted into XML as Payload the
XML removes the spaces. The text should be wrapped in CDATA with double
Quotes to preserve this space data; but VFS does not do this. So the fields
at start or end of file get lost and hence the whole file is now garbage.

Hopefully reading them as binary files (not plan text) will get over this ?
Other ideas ?

RE: VFS Text Files with spaces don't work.

Posted by Kim Horn <ki...@icsglobal.net>.
Sorry have had no time before but I had a look into this, one of the developers suggested this is the case with one partner but not others. So some partners handle this by using just CDATA. Another requires a known character delimiter at the start and end to define the boundaries of the white space, at the start and end of the data. They commonly use ". In all cases the recipients need the CDATA. So that's where the "" come from.

Initially I tested this by using a message injector instead of VFS, to inject a CDATA wrapped test file.
This is what we normally do by hand using SOAPUI.
This worked, so I wrongly assumed it was VFS, as we get this issue all the time. Then I thought it may be
Intermediate mediator but no, you are right, its just the destination. A mediator that builds Java object from the
Data then writes them back to XML could screw up the data if it was not aware of the data format and trimmed the
String.

So solution is we have to add the CDATA etc on way out of Synapse.

Thanks for your help

Kim

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.