Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andre-John Mas <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/14 01:01:14 UTC

Page not completing loading - ideas?

Hi,

We recently encountered an issue on one of our integration machines,
where a fews pages will not finish loading (actually it will, but only
after around 4 minutes), and this is not even a large page. The same
tomcat and web application work fine on the local development
workstation and pre-integration server. Because the integration
machine is managed by the customer, we aren't allowed to make any
modifications to tomcat or the webapp without their consent (which is
not always easy politically). For this reason we need to be able work
out what could be causing the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to go about analysing the issue?

We are using Linux, Tomcat 5.5.27 and JDK 1.6. The pages are rendered
using XSL (I suspect this issue might be here, but nothing in the logs
help).

André-John

RE: Page not completing loading - ideas?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Andre

can you display contents of
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml
localXsltFile
globalXsltFile
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/default-servlet.html

Bon Chance,
Martin Gainty
Disclaimer and Confidentiality/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité
This message is confidential. If you should not be the intended receiver, then we ask politely to report. Each unauthorized forwarding or manufacturing of a copy is inadmissible. This message serves only for the exchange of information and has no legal binding effect. Due to the easy manipulation of emails we cannot take responsibility over the the contents.

> From: andrejohn.mas@gmail.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Subject: Page not completing loading - ideas?
> Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 19:01:14 -0400
>
> Hi,
>
> We recently encountered an issue on one of our integration machines,
> where a fews pages will not finish loading (actually it will, but only
> after around 4 minutes), and this is not even a large page. The same
> tomcat and web application work fine on the local development
> workstation and pre-integration server. Because the integration
> machine is managed by the customer, we aren't allowed to make any
> modifications to tomcat or the webapp without their consent (which is
> not always easy politically). For this reason we need to be able work
> out what could be causing the issue.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas of how to go about analysing the issue?
>
> We are using Linux, Tomcat 5.5.27 and JDK 1.6. The pages are rendered
> using XSL (I suspect this issue might be here, but nothing in the logs
> help).
>
> André-John

Hotmail® goes with you.

Re: Page not completing loading - ideas?

Posted by Andre-John Mas <aj...@sympatico.ca>.
On 13-May-2009, at 21:14, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> From: Andre-John Mas [mailto:andrejohn.mas@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Page not completing loading - ideas?
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas of how to go about analysing the issue?
>
> I'd start with a Wireshark capture/trace on the client workstation
> to see exactly what's going on over the network.  If you can get a
> Tomcat AccessLogValve trace from the integration server to correlate
> with it, that would help.

I was told that a day later it was back to normal.  Apparently the
only thing that changed was the CMS content. This is resolved for now.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Andre-John Mas [mailto:andrejohn.mas@gmail.com]
> Subject: Page not completing loading - ideas?
>
> Does anyone have any ideas of how to go about analysing the issue?

I'd start with a Wireshark capture/trace on the client workstation to see exactly what's going on over the network.  If you can get a Tomcat AccessLogValve trace from the integration server to correlate with it, that would help.

 - Chuck