Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2012/07/08 01:39:02 UTC

Re: proxy for servlet 3.1

On 6/21/12 3:23 PM, jean-frederic clere wrote:
> On 06/20/2012 05:43 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
>> On 6/20/12 3:56 AM, jean-frederic clere wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> In servlet 3.1 we have to support assync io and upgrade to raw
>>> buffering, would that work with traffic server.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Jean-Frederic
>>
>> I'm not familiar with servlet, doing some Bing'ing, it seems to be a
>> Java spec, JSR 340? Is that it?
>
> Yes it is JSR 340.
>

>> ATS obviously supports asynchronous I/O, it's a fundamental part of the
>> design (everything is asynchronous). What exactly do you mean with raw
>> buffering?  You want to upgrade the HTTP connection to some other
>> protocol?
>
> Yes it is a kind of upgrade to no protocol the data are send and
> received in a raw mode until the connection is closed. In Tomcat we
> get that by removing all filters. We use that for websocket for example:
> GET /all//upgrade00 HTTP/1.1
> host: localhost

Sorry, I dropped the ball on this. Yeah, I don't think that this would
work with ATS, but I honestly don't know. It's an interesting problem
(and idea) though, and something we should maybe brainstorm over.
Supporting e.g. Web Sockets in general (which uses a similar protocol
upgrade) would be incredibly useful. I honestly have no idea how this
would work in ATS, or what it entails.

Cheers,

-- Leif