Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com> on 2004/09/15 23:37:54 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_proxy_html wishlist (Re: [users@httpd] Problem substituting URIs using mod_proxy_html)

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Will Cline wrote:

> Here is an example of an unsuccessful substitution -from view source in
> the browser: (which occurred in the same page as the above successful
> substitution)
>
> <param name="Action1" value="New
> Memo,/mail/testuser.nsf/act_NEW.GIF?OpenImageResource,1,0,1,1,0">
>
> resulted in no substitution

As you noted in your followup, param value="..." isn't dealt with.
I guess you could describe that as an omission in version 2.  Round
tuits permitting, I might have a look at whether I can identify other
places in (x)html where URLs may be found in text, and update it to
support rewriting them.

I'm getting occasional requests for other things like rewriting
attributes that are not defined in any HTML version but are generated
by peoples publishing system (a very recent case was
entire range of attributes to be matched/rewritten user-configurable.
It will deal with requests like that, but on the other hand it will
make configuration much more complicated for users who just want to
support standard HTML.

Another issue is how far it should go in trying to correct errors in
HTML coming from a backend:
  * Malformed <script>s are rather common, and work very badly with the
    parser.  This can be compensated, but at a significant performance
    penalty.
  * It could be made to tidy up output to conform to the HTML4/XHTML1
    spec, or to a user-supplied DTD.

Does anyone have any strong views for or against any of the above ideas?
Or other suggestions for improvements?

--
Nick Kew