Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net> on 2015/04/30 20:49:34 UTC

Trouble separating catalina_base and catalina_home in TC 8

I'm having trouble getting the default webapps to start under TC8 when I
separate catalina_base and catalina_home.  It must be something stupid
I'm missing, but I can't think of any place else to check.

This is a windows server 2012 R2 server, with JRE 7u75, JRE 8u45, TC
7.0.57 and TC 8.0.21 all installed as 32-bit under Program Files (x86).
  TC is as a windows service in both cases, and they were installed
using the windows service installer .exe.  TC7 is set up to use JRE 7,
and TC 8 to use JRE8.  Everything runs fine under TC7, but I appear to
be having some interference when I try to run apps under TC8, not from
catalina_home.  All the following comments are running TC8.

Everything works fine when I run the manager app from its original
(catalina_home) location, but when I try to move it to catalina_base, it
fails, apparently trying to start TC 7.  These are the first 30 lines
from the stderr log.  There are more errors later on in the log, but I
believe they are cascading from the initial problems.  Specifically,
note that it shows CATALINA_HOME as the correct TC8 location, but it
says it's starting 7.0.57 (line2).

2015-04-30 18:22:04 Commons Daemon procrun stderr initialized
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server version:
      Apache Tomcat/7.0.57
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server built:
      Nov 3 2014 08:39:16 UTC
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server number:
      7.0.57.0
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log OS Name:
      Windows Server 2008 R2
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log OS Version:
      6.1
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Architecture:
      x86
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JAVA_HOME:
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre8
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JVM Version:
      1.8.0_45-b14
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JVM Vendor:
      Oracle Corporation
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log CATALINA_BASE:
      F:\tomcat8_clients
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log CATALINA_HOME:
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.0
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Dcatalina.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 8.0
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Dcatalina.base=f:\tomcat8_clients
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 8.0\endorsed
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Djava.io.tmpdir=f:\tomcat8_clients\temp
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument:
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=f:\tomcat8_clients\conf\logging.properties
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument:
-DWebSira.configFileName=F:\tomcat8_clients\PelicanWebSIRA.properties
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: exit
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.107 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Xms128m
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.107 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Xmx256m
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.107 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent The APR
based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in
production environments was not found on the java.library.path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
8.0\bin;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program
Files\SQL Anywhere 12\bin64;C:\Program Files\SQL Anywhere 12\bin32;;.
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.357 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler
["http-bio-8080"]
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.388 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler
["ajp-bio-8009"]
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.388 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load Initialization processed in 952 ms
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.435 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal Starting service
Catalina
30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.435 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal Starting Servlet
Engine: Apache Tomcat/7.0.57

The image path for the service:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
8.0\bin\tomcat8.exe" //RS//Pelican-81-8

The Java classpath from the service controller app:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
8.0\bin\bootstrap.jar;f:\tomcat8_clients\bin\tomcat-juli.jar;C:\Program
Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.0\bin\tomcat-juli.jar

Here are the lines from the procrun controller app:

-Dcatalina.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.0
-Dcatalina.base=f:\tomcat8_clients
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 8.0\endorsed
-Djava.io.tmpdir=f:\tomcat8_clients\temp
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=f:\tomcat8_clients\conf\logging.properties
-DWebSira.configFileName="F:\tomcat8_clients\PelicanWebSIRA.properties"

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Dave

Re: Trouble separating catalina_base and catalina_home in TC 8

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> I'm having trouble getting the default webapps to start under TC8 when I
> separate catalina_base and catalina_home.  It must be something stupid I'm
> missing, but I can't think of any place else to check.
>
> This is a windows server 2012 R2 server, with JRE 7u75, JRE 8u45, TC 7.0.57
> and TC 8.0.21 all installed as 32-bit under Program Files (x86).  TC is as a
> windows service in both cases, and they were installed using the windows
> service installer .exe.  TC7 is set up to use JRE 7, and TC 8 to use JRE8.
> Everything runs fine under TC7, but I appear to be having some interference
> when I try to run apps under TC8, not from catalina_home.  All the following
> comments are running TC8.
>
> Everything works fine when I run the manager app from its original
> (catalina_home) location, but when I try to move it to catalina_base, it
> fails, apparently trying to start TC 7.  These are the first 30 lines from
> the stderr log.  There are more errors later on in the log, but I believe
> they are cascading from the initial problems.  Specifically, note that it
> shows CATALINA_HOME as the correct TC8 location, but it says it's starting
> 7.0.57 (line2).
>

> 2015-04-30 18:22:04 Commons Daemon procrun stderr initialized
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server version:
> Apache Tomcat/7.0.57
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server built:      Nov
> 3 2014 08:39:16 UTC
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server number:
> 7.0.57.0
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log OS Name:      Windows
> Server 2008 R2
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log OS Version:      6.1
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Architecture:      x86
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JAVA_HOME:
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre8
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JVM Version:
> 1.8.0_45-b14
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JVM Vendor:
> Oracle Corporation
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log CATALINA_BASE:
> F:\tomcat8_clients
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log CATALINA_HOME:
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.0

1) It is rather possible to install Tomcat 7 into directory named "Tomcat 8.0".

Check what jars are actually there.

The version number comes from a file in catalina.jar named
org/apache/catalina/util/ServerInfo.properties

> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument:
> -Dcatalina.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.0
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument:
> -Dcatalina.base=f:\tomcat8_clients

2) OK,
catalina.home and catalina.base system properties are present.

> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument:
> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software
> Foundation\Tomcat 8.0\endorsed
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument:
> -Djava.io.tmpdir=f:\tomcat8_clients\temp
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument:
> -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument:
> -Djava.util.logging.config.file=f:\tomcat8_clients\conf\logging.properties
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument:
> -DWebSira.configFileName=F:\tomcat8_clients\PelicanWebSIRA.properties
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.092 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument:
> exit
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.107 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument:
> -Xms128m
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.107 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument:
> -Xmx256m
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.107 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent The APR based
> Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production
> environments was not found on the java.library.path: C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
> 8.0\bin;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program
> Files\SQL Anywhere 12\bin64;C:\Program Files\SQL Anywhere 12\bin32;;.
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.357 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init
> Initializing ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-8080"]
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.388 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init
> Initializing ProtocolHandler ["ajp-bio-8009"]
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.388 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load Initialization processed in 952 ms
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.435 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal Starting service
> Catalina
> 30-Apr-2015 18:22:06.435 INFO [main]
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal Starting Servlet
> Engine: Apache Tomcat/7.0.57
>

> The image path for the service:
>
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
> 8.0\bin\tomcat8.exe" //RS//Pelican-81-8

3) The values (edited by Commons Daemon Procrun service manager GUI)
are actually stored in the registry. You may want to look there.

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-daemon/procrun.html#Windows_Registry_Usage

4) "Pelican-81-8" is an unusual service name and differs from the file
name (tomcat8.exe). It means that you have to always specify the
service name when invoking tomcat8[w].exe.

But actually, all the values above look OK.

Maybe s/f:/F:/, as drive name becomes uppercase after conversion to
"canonical" form at start time.

> The Java classpath from the service controller app:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
> 8.0\bin\bootstrap.jar;f:\tomcat8_clients\bin\tomcat-juli.jar;C:\Program
> Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.0\bin\tomcat-juli.jar
>

> Here are the lines from the procrun controller app:
>
> -Dcatalina.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.0
> -Dcatalina.base=f:\tomcat8_clients
> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software
> Foundation\Tomcat 8.0\endorsed
> -Djava.io.tmpdir=f:\tomcat8_clients\temp
> -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
> -Djava.util.logging.config.file=f:\tomcat8_clients\conf\logging.properties
> -DWebSira.configFileName="F:\tomcat8_clients\PelicanWebSIRA.properties"

4) When installing 8.0.21, did Windows prompt you for permissions (aka UAC)?

(I mean, was it permitted to modify C:\Program Files and did it
successfully wrote the files there?)

5) FAR Manager is a good tool to work with files on Windows. It may be
useful for you to look at the files.
http://tomcat.apache.org/tools.html#Open_Source_Tools

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Trouble separating catalina_base and catalina_home in TC 8

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 4/30/2015 2:49 PM, David kerber wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting the default webapps to start under TC8 when I
> separate catalina_base and catalina_home.  It must be something stupid
> I'm missing, but I can't think of any place else to check.
>
> This is a windows server 2012 R2 server, with JRE 7u75, JRE 8u45, TC
> 7.0.57 and TC 8.0.21 all installed as 32-bit under Program Files (x86).
>   TC is as a windows service in both cases, and they were installed
> using the windows service installer .exe.  TC7 is set up to use JRE 7,
> and TC 8 to use JRE8.  Everything runs fine under TC7, but I appear to
> be having some interference when I try to run apps under TC8, not from
> catalina_home.  All the following comments are running TC8.

I don't have Konstantin's message on this machine so I can't reply to
it, but he got me pointed in the correct direction to get this fixed.

The issues was with my set up of the CATALINA_BASE directories.  All the
install locations were good, but when I set up catalina.base, I also
happened to copy the /lib directory, which has all the tomcat jars in it
(catalina.jar, etc), so it was picking the TC7 versions of them instead
of the ones in the actual install location.  Once I got rid of the extra
files, everything runs as it should.

Thanks!