Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Vaibhav Singh <aw...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/08 10:09:21 UTC

State & Fault Tolerance in Table API and SQL Implementations

Hi,

We are looking into a production use case of using Flink, to process
multiple streams of data from Kafka topics.

We plan to perform joins on these streams and then output aggregations on
that data. We plan to use the Table API and SQL capabilities for this.
We need to prepare a plan to productionize this flow, and were looking into
how Flink features like Checkpoints and Savepoints and state management are
being utilized here (In case of Table API).

Can you point me towards any documentation/articles/tutorials regarding how
Flink is doing these in case of the Table API and SQL?

*Thanks and regards!*
Vaibhav

Re: State & Fault Tolerance in Table API and SQL Implementations

Posted by Dawid Wysakowicz <dw...@apache.org>.
Hi Vaibhav,

I am not sure if there are specific documentation parts about state
handling in Table API. There are just a few important facts that you
must be aware of:

* in a failover scenario, everything should work just fine, internally
Table API uses Flink's state and all intermediate results should be
successfully restored after failure.

* in case of query update or Flink's version update there is no
guarantee that the resulting execution plan will remain the same (or
have the same uids), therefore there are no guarantees that a previous
state can be mapped to the new plan

I hope this clarifies a bit how Table API interacts with Flink's state.

Best,

Dawid