Posted to mailet-api@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/03 22:44:50 UTC

What's In The API...?

the mailet api is now to be found in at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mailet/api/trunk/. however,
after the move out from JAMES server some of the contents don't look
quite right for an API. so, we've decided to create a new product
called mailet-base to contain them and other classes generally useful
when building mailets.

we've had a bit of a talk on the server list and think we have a split
which a good enough starting point. this effects the contents of the
first independent mailet API release so i'd like to get feedback from
this list.

in order to keep the volume down, i suggest a lazy feedback: if
everything is near enough ok then just stay silent. please jump in and
highlight any mistakes either by prose or by just marking X against
the offenders. i'll leave this open until at least saturday may 10th.

- robert

mailet-api
----------------
from org.apache.mailet:
[ ] HostAddress
[ ] Mail
[ ] MailAddress
[ ] Mailet
[ ] MailetConfig
[ ] MailetContext
[ ] MailetException
[ ] Matcher
[ ] MatcherConfig

mailet-base
------------------
from org.apache.mailet:
[ ] RFC2822Headers
[ ] GenericMailet
[ ] GenericMatcher
[ ] GenericRecipientMatcher

from org.apache.mailet.dates
[ ] RFC2980DateFormat
[ ] RFC822DateFormat
[ ] RFC977DateFormat
[ ] SimplifiedDateFormat
[ ] SynchronizedDateFormat

Re: What's In The API...?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>
>> > the mailet api is now to be found in at
>> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mailet/api/trunk/. however,
>> > after the move out from JAMES server some of the contents don't look
>> > quite right for an API. so, we've decided to create a new product
>> > called mailet-base to contain them and other classes generally useful
>> > when building mailets.
>> >
>> > we've had a bit of a talk on the server list and think we have a split
>> > which a good enough starting point. this effects the contents of the
>> > first independent mailet API release so i'd like to get feedback from
>> > this list.
>> >

>>  Could you explain the relationship between mailet-api and mailet-base going
>> forward?  Does mailet-base intended to replace mailet-api with a honed
>> purpose?
>
> mailet-api will be the specification and mailet-base will be a basic
> toolkit for mailet developers thus factoring out the two main concerns
> of the current mailet product. mailet-api will be released each time
> the specification is updated. mailet-base may well be released more
> frequently.

any more comments or questions?

- robert

Re: What's In The API...?