Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Paul Fife <pa...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/24 20:51:20 UTC

Changing a cluster name

I am following the instructions here to attempt to change the name of a
cluster: https://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#clustername_mismatch
or at least the more up to date advice:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22006887/cassandra-saved-cluster-name-test-cluster-configured-name

I am able to query the system.local to verify the clusterName is modified,
but when I restart Cassandra it fails, and the value is back at the
original cluster name. Is this still possible, or are there changes
preventing this from working anymore?

I have attempted this several times and it did actually work the first
time, but when I moved around to the other nodes it no longer worked.

Thanks,
Paul Fife

Re: Changing a cluster name

Posted by Romain Hardouin <ro...@yahoo.fr>.
Indeed when you want to flush the system keyspace you need to specify it. The flush without argument filters out the system keyspace. This behavior is still the same in the trunk. If you dig into the sources, look at "nodeProbe.getNonSystemKeyspaces()" when "cmdArgs" is empty:- https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/tools/NodeTool.java#L329- https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/tools/NodeTool.java#L337
Best,
Romain

    Le Mercredi 29 juin 2016 19h03, Paul Fife <pa...@gmail.com> a écrit :

 Thanks Dominik - I was doing a nodetool flush like the instructions said, but it wasn't actually flushing the system keyspace. Using nodetool flush system made it work as expected!
Thanks,Paul Fife
On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 7:37 AM, Dominik Keil <do...@movilizer.com> wrote:

  Also you might want to explicitly do "nodetool flush system". I've recently done this in C* 2.2.6 and just "nodetool flush" would not have flushed the system keyspace, leading to the change in cluster name not being persisted across restarts.

 Cheers

 Am 29.06.2016 um 03:36 schrieb Surbhi Gupta:

 system.local uses local strategy . You need to update on all nodes .

 On 28 June 2016 at 14:51, Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com> wrote:

  First, make sure that you call nodetool flush after modifying the system table.  That's probably why it's not surviving the restart.

  Second, I believe you will have to do this across all nodes and restart them at the same time.  Otherwise, cluster name mismatches will prevent the nodes from communicating with each other.

   --
 Tyler Hobbs
 DataStax

 --
  Dominik Keil
 Phone: + 49 (0) 621 150 207 31

 Movilizer GmbH
 Konrad-Zuse-Ring 30
 68163 Mannheim
 Germany

movilizer.com

Reinvent Your Mobile Enterprise
-
Movilizer is moving
After June 27th 2016 Movilizer's new headquarter will be

EASTSITE VIII
Konrad-Zuse-Ring 30
68163 Mannheim

Be the first to know:Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | stack overflow
Company's registered office: Mannheim HRB: 700323 / Country Court: Mannheim Managing Directors: Alberto Zamora, Jörg Bernauer, Oliver Lesche Please inform us immediately if this e-mail and/or any attachment was transmitted incompletely or was not intelligible.

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorized use by the intended recipient(s) only. It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by any other party. If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.

Re: Changing a cluster name

Posted by Paul Fife <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Changing a cluster name

Posted by Dominik Keil <do...@movilizer.com>.