Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Todd Palino <tp...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/05 03:44:11 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-6 - New reassignment partition logic for re-balancing

Apologize for the late comment on this...

So fair assignment by count (taking into account the current partition
count of each broker) is very good. However, it's worth noting that all
partitions are not created equal. We have actually been performing more
rebalance work based on the partition size on disk, as given equal
retention of all topics, the size on disk is a better indicator of the
amount of traffic a partition gets, both in terms of storage and network
traffic. Overall, this seems to be a better balance.

In addition to this, I think there is very much a need to have Kafka be
rack-aware. That is, to be able to assure that for a given cluster, you
never assign all replicas for a given partition in the same rack. This
would allow us to guard against maintenances or power failures that affect
a full rack of systems (or a given switch).

I think it would make sense to implement the reassignment logic as a
pluggable component. That way it would be easy to select a scheme when
performing a reassignment (count, size, rack aware). Configuring a default
scheme for a cluster would allow for the brokers to create new topics and
partitions in compliance with the requested policy.

-Todd

Posted by Aditya Auradkar <aa...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for the writeup and RB Joe/Dmitry.

Is it possible to describe the proposed partition reassignment algorithm in more detail on the KIP? In fact, it would be really easy to understand if we had some concrete examples comparing partition assignment with the old algorithm and the new.

Aditya
    I think plugable design is good with solid default. The only issue I
feel is when you use one and switch to another, will we end up with some
unread messages hanging around and no one thinks or knows it is their
responsibility to take care of them?

Thanks.

Tong

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
I am +1 Todd's suggestion, the default reassignment scheme is only used
when a reassignment command is issued with no scheme specified, and
changing this default scheme should not automatically trigger a
reassignment of all existing topics: it will only take effect when the next
reassignment command with no specific scheme is issued.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-6 - New reassignment partition logic for re-balancing

Posted by Todd Palino <tp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tong Li <li...@us.ibm.com>.

Todd,