Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by David Ortiz <dp...@outlook.com> on 2013/04/29 21:11:57 UTC

Deployment of VMs running cluster services

Hello,
     Does cloudstack have a way to specify that two or more VMs should not be launched on the same host?  The only thing I could find to try and do it is to use tags to make them launch on different hosts, but I was curious if there is a way to say I do not care which hosts they deploy on as long as they are not on the same one.
Thanks,      David Ortiz

RE: Deployment of VMs running cluster services

Posted by David Ortiz <dp...@outlook.com>.
That is exactly what I was looking for.  Looks like tags it is for the time being then.
Thanks!

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jessica Wang <Je...@citrix.com>.
This feature(affinity/anti-affinity group) is in master branch already.

After login to cloudstack UI, there is a new icon "Affinity Groups" in left menu.
You can create anti-affinity group or affinity group there.

Then, click "Instances" menu => click "Add Instance" => there is a new step (step 5: Affinity) where you can choose Affinity/anti-affinity group for the VM you are going to deploy.

>     Does cloudstack have a way to specify that two or more VMs should not be launched on the same host?  The only thing I could find to try and do it is to use tags to make them launch on different hosts, but I was curious if there is a way to say I do not care which hosts they deploy on as long as they are not on the same one.
> Thanks,      David Ortiz

Not yet, but its coming. It's a feature called "anti-affinity"

Re: Deployment of VMs running cluster services

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.