Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org> on 2013/03/14 07:15:25 UTC

Joining IPMC member

Hi,

I just noticed that Mentor must be members of the Incubator PMC[1].
Regarding MRQL podling, I'm not only Champion but also want to be a
Mentor for MRQL project.

Please add me to IPMC.

1. http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Mentor

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: Joining IPMC member

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Mar 15, 2013, at 4:07 AM, Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wrote:

> As you might know, generally speaking for PMC's merit is not transferable. But IPMC has one exception any member of the foundation can simply ask to be added (it still goes through the normal workflow of board acknowledgement and such, but without a formal IPMC voting). If the requester is not a member, IPMC also has to discuss and vote based on contributions, interest to help out just like any other PMC. Such requests to join should go to the private list. See [1]  "Mentors MUST be on the IPMC. Any prospective Mentors who are not yet on the IPMC should ask to be added (by election). Email the application toprivate@incubator.apache.org. This process may take a few days."

I'd like to put a finer point on this since any foundation member can simply ask to be added.  VPs of PMCs are not automatically foundation members.  Though many VPs of PMCs also happen to be foundation members, they were voted in by the foundation membership after a foundation member nomination.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Joining IPMC member

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Edward,

As you might know, generally speaking for PMC's merit is not transferable. But IPMC has one exception any member of the foundation can simply ask to be added (it still goes through the normal workflow of board acknowledgement and such, but without a formal IPMC voting). If the requester is not a member, IPMC also has to discuss and vote based on contributions, interest to help out just like any other PMC. Such requests to join should go to the private list. See [1]  "Mentors MUST be on the IPMC. Any prospective Mentors who are not yet on the IPMC should ask to be added (by election). Email the application to private@incubator.apache.org. This process may take a few days."

I can see the source of your confusion both for asking on the general list and also interpreting an officer can be a champion. Its a misunderstanding, no worries. Your enthusiasm to help MRQL is certainly appreciated and once we have a IPMC member volunteer to champion the podling, everything should be back on track. I do not think MRQL will be hampered, just a delay. Its parked on the runway waiting to take off soon. Meanwhile sit back relax and have fun hacking.

Suresh

[1] - http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html

Re: Joining IPMC member

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
The reason of opening here is that I see mails like "Request to join
IPMC"[1]. Moreover I already sent a mail to private@ at Feb 27.

1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201202.mbox/%3C87945F79-C905-4CDF-AF5B-D7A9B54F3F69@gmail.com%3E

>> P.S., It's been 6 years since I uploaded my first patch on HBase. I
>> still don't know many things but I'm continuously learning from you
>> guys ;-)
>
> Hi Edward,
>
> I do not think any one is questioning your credibility as a committer, or pmc member. I think Marvin hit it right and straight forward way. At ASF one of the few things (and primarily the only thing) like adding to a PMC is handled on private lists. Given that you have been contributing since 6 years you are certainly expected to know it. It is not healthy to side track the issue with your contributions or citing emotional reasons.
>
> Suresh
>

>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Edward J. Yoon <ed...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Yes, I think I'm not familiar with handling issues like personnel, and
>>> somewhat emotional person.
>>>
>>> However, I want to helping people who want to contribute to ASF or
>>> collaborate with ASF projects in the future.

>>> --
>>> Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
>>> @eddieyoon
>>

>> --
>> Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
>> @eddieyoon

Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: Joining IPMC member

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.

Re: Joining IPMC member

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: Joining IPMC member

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Yes, I think I'm not familiar with handling issues like personnel, and
somewhat emotional person.

However, I want to helping people who want to contribute to ASF or
collaborate with ASF projects in the future.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> Edward, are you not familiar with our custom of handling personnel
> matters on private lists? It has not always been that way, but do you
> understand why virtually all ASF projects adhere to that convention
> now?
>
> Marvin Humphrey
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Edward J. Yoon <ed...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just noticed that Mentor must be members of the Incubator PMC[1].
>> Regarding MRQL podling, I'm not only Champion but also want to be a
>> Mentor for MRQL project.
>>
>> Please add me to IPMC.
>>
>> 1. http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Mentor
>>
>> --