Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Ashvin A <aa...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/05 18:56:27 UTC

Verify impact of a pull request

Hi,

We are working on finalizing the dev process and I may be jumping on this
question sooner. If so, please ignore my mail.

I saw a couple of pull requests today. As a committer, how will I know if
the contributor has executed all the unit tests and the patch is well
tested? Will the infrastructure automatically reject the change if it
breaks the build?

Thanks !
Ashvin

Re: Verify impact of a pull request

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
I think it would be nice to have infrastructure that can automatically run
tests on a pull request.

The current test suite for geode is fairly small because we didn't get the
majority of the tests into the initial commit of geode. Those tests should
be available in not too long to be merged into geode. Assuming the
community wants the tests to be a requirement for committing (I'm strongly
in favor of that!), then running the tests will take hours. That may be a
burden on someone developing on a laptop without access to other hardware.

-Dan

Posted by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Ashvin,

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> I think what you're talking about is CI automation to make sure that
> all newly submitted patches are being validated. Hadoop ecosystem
> project have had great success with test-patch type of validation on
> builds.apache.org. We can go the same route.
>
> Thoughts?

+1.

There should be a set of local tests that all contributors should run
before submitting a patch, but it'd be real nice to build up an
automated test suite that runs distributed multi-machine tests.  (I
have no clue if Hadoop is already doing such things already.)

Cheers.  -- justin

Re: Verify impact of a pull request

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Ashvin A <aa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are working on finalizing the dev process and I may be jumping on this
> question sooner. If so, please ignore my mail.
>
> I saw a couple of pull requests today. As a committer, how will I know if
> the contributor has executed all the unit tests and the patch is well
> tested? Will the infrastructure automatically reject the change if it
> breaks the build?

I think what you're talking about is CI automation to make sure that
all newly submitted patches are being validated. Hadoop ecosystem
project have had great success with test-patch type of validation on
builds.apache.org. We can go the same route.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Roman.