Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Bill Ronald <os...@q.com> on 2017/01/25 11:46:56 UTC

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 Release

Dear Apache,

I recently thought I'd take a look at your product.  I have been using
various levels of Microsoft Office for many years.  After the download, I
opened up the writing tool and played with it for about 5 minutes.  I didn't
like the formatting options and date entries and such, so I deleted my
"play" letter and then I looked at one Excel file, which did open, but I
saved nothing.  I decided to completely uninstall your package and yesterday
I was "ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED" to find that your package had completely
overwritten all my files, including my address labels, addresses, Excel, and
Word documents and changed "EVERYTHING" (absolutely everything) to .XML
format.  Your package literally destroyed 31 years of my personal writings
including 31 years of Scripture writings and notes.  I could not sleep at
all when I went to bed, notwithstanding the damage to my computer; but the
anxiety of how in the world I was going to fix it.  I have been up the
entire night long, and it is just short of 5:00 a.m. Mountain Standard Time.
I finally figured out how to convert everything back to Microsoft Word docs,
but I'm really steamed that your Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 did this much
damage to my computer and my files.  I'm 73 years old and I am naturally
sleep deprived anyhow, and this worry brought on by your product has done me
no good at all.

THANKS A LOT!!!!!

Willard F. Ronald

WFR: wr

Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 Release

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 04:46:56 -0700
"Bill Ronald" <os...@q.com> wrote:

> Dear Apache,
>

> I recently thought I'd take a look at your product.  I have been using
> various levels of Microsoft Office for many years.  After the download, I
> opened up the writing tool and played with it for about 5 minutes.  I didn't
> like the formatting options and date entries and such, so I deleted my
> "play" letter and then I looked at one Excel file, which did open, but I
> saved nothing.  I decided to completely uninstall your package and yesterday
> I was "ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED" to find that your package had completely
> overwritten all my files, including my address labels, addresses, Excel, and
> Word documents and changed "EVERYTHING" (absolutely everything) to .XML
> format.  Your package literally destroyed 31 years of my personal writings
> including 31 years of Scripture writings and notes.  I could not sleep at
> all when I went to bed, notwithstanding the damage to my computer; but the
> anxiety of how in the world I was going to fix it.  I have been up the
> entire night long, and it is just short of 5:00 a.m. Mountain Standard Time.
> I finally figured out how to convert everything back to Microsoft Word docs,
> but I'm really steamed that your Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 did this much
> damage to my computer and my files.  I'm 73 years old and I am naturally
> sleep deprived anyhow, and this worry brought on by your product has done me
> no good at all.
>

> THANKS A LOT!!!!!
>

> Willard F. Ronald
>
> WFR: wr

What has happened is not that OpenOffice has overwritten all your existing files, but in the installation it has resumed responsibility for opening these files, hence displayed its icon on the various file types.

All you need to do is to nominate the program you wish to open each type of file (provided, of course) that that program _can_ open that type of file.  Howqto do this is set out in this note
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12918

The techniques therein will work for other programs than MS Office.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 Release

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
Top Posting

After my reply to this user and some follow up emails to deal with minor points, I understand that the problem is now solved and the user's files are restored to their original applications.

RoryOF

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>