Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Bob <ma...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/29 07:09:27 UTC

Re: Discarded messages and Expired messages.

Hi thanks for the explanation. So apart from that is there any way to discard
all the messages which was already in the activemq.dlq ? any help is
appreciated

Re: Discarded messages and Expired messages.

Posted by Bob <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

So much appreciated for your help!

Yes almost there! One last concern is about this plugin

<discardingDLQBrokerPlugin dropOnly="ActiveMQ.DLQ" reportInterval="1000"/>

Based on some research is it true by implementing this will avoid any
problematic messages from entering Activemq.DLQ ?

Thanks
Bob

Re: Discarded messages and Expired messages.

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
The plugin will discard any message that would have gone to the specified
DLQ instead of putting it on the DLQ.

From your description, I think what you want is <discardingDLQBrokerPlugin
dropAll="true" dropTemporaryTopics="true" dropTemporaryQueues="true"/>
(source: http://activemq.apache.org/message-redelivery-and-dlq-handling.html
)

Tim

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
Bob,

So if I'm understanding correctly, you're concerned that there might be
existing messages in the DLQ at the time you enabled the
discardingDLQBrokerPlugin, and you want a way to clear out those
pre-existing messages. Your use of the discardingDLQBrokerPlugin already
ensures that any new messages will not go to the DLQ, so by also purging
the pre-existing messages you ensure that there will never be any messages
in the DLQ. Is that indeed what you're looking to do?

If so, you only need to purge the existing messages once (since no new
messages will get into the DLQ after that point), so the simplest solution
would seem to be just doing a one-time manual purge of the DLQ from the web
console. Would that work for your needs?

Tim

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
I'm not understanding what you're trying to do. Are you looking to do a
one-time, manual purge of "all the messages which was already in the
activemq.dlq"? Or are you looking for ongoing, automatic discarding of
messages if they stay on the DLQ for longer than some expiration period? Or
are you trying to avoid using the DLQ at all?

Tim