Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Richard Krenek <ri...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/15 15:19:58 UTC

How does Lucene compare to Dieselpoint?

Hello All,
   We've been using Lucene here and like it, but we've been asked to look
into another engine also (Dieselpoint). Has anyone used both Dieselpoint and
Lucene. Any comments. We have a lot of documents (50 million+) each document
contains many small fields (maybe 100s). Important features we care about
are refinements and faceted navigation. Any comments would be great.

Thanks

Re: How does Lucene compare to Dieselpoint?

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
Lucene is more like an engine, while Dieselpoint is more like a car.
AFAIK, Dieselpoint is doing database search, but not using Lucene.

You are welcome to try DBSight, which crawls database in a
customizable way and uses Lucene. You can set it up quickly and see if
Lucene fit your performance and functionality needs.

Chris Lu
---------------
http://www.dbsight.net
Lucene Search on Any Database

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
:    We've been using Lucene here and like it, but we've been asked to look
: into another engine also (Dieselpoint). Has anyone used both Dieselpoint and
: Lucene. Any comments. We have a lot of documents (50 million+) each document
: contains many small fields (maybe 100s). Important features we care about
: are refinements and faceted navigation. Any comments would be great.

As Chris Lu mentioned, lucene is a library for building applications, and
Dieselpoint is an application.  When I test drove the Dieselpoint demo a
while back, I got the impression that I could build everythign in
Dieselpoint using Lucene -- but I wasn't convinced Dieselpoint capable of
everything I could build with Lucene

In the end, it comes down to priorities:

  1) Do you want an out of hte box solution with a fixed fature set that
     you pay money for?
  2) Do you want a library that you can use to build your own
     applications?

Incidently, if you haven't tried out Dieselpoints free downloadable demo
version, I suggest you give it a shot.  They've definitely made it easy to
use.  It comes with a sample application for a ficticous company, and
their admin interface makes it trivial to create you own index, and then
slurp files on your local box or crawl a site and then do searches against
it.  Alas: there doesn't seem to be any way to do faceted filtering from
the admin screen -- but i think they give you all the code you need to try
writting your own applicaiton to use your new index...

	http://www.dieselpoint.com/login.jsp

-Hoss