Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@coredevelopers.net> on 2004/04/30 18:11:33 UTC

Daily builds

Now that we got our first release out (and kind of know what we are
doing), I plan on setting up a daily build.  To do this I will need to
change the Geronimo version to 1.0-SNAPSHOT.  This will cause the maven
build to check if a new version of the Geronimo jars on the ibiblio
repository each time you build, which has couple of drawbacks.  If you
are online the build will be slower, as maven will contact ibiblio for
each module build, and if you happen to build while the jars are being
uploaded to ibiblio, you may get some jars from ibiblio and some from
your local build.  Both of these can be fixed by building with 'maven
-o' (offline mode), but you have to remember to type it.

I'll also work with OpenEJB, ActiveMQ, and TranQL to publish similar
daily builds.

-dain

/*************************
  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner
  * Core Developers Network
  *************************/

Re: Daily builds

Posted by ja...@mac.com.
On 30 Apr 2004, at 17:11, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> Now that we got our first release out (and kind of know what we are
> doing), I plan on setting up a daily build.  To do this I will need to
> change the Geronimo version to 1.0-SNAPSHOT.

+1

Right now its a PITA having DEV versions for everything as I've no idea
what version it is & Maven won't auto-download when things change. I
never know what version I'm using.

> This will cause the maven build to check if a new version of the
> Geronimo jars on the ibiblio repository each time you build, which has
> couple of drawbacks.  If you are online the build will be slower, as
> maven will contact ibiblio for each module build, and if you happen to
> build while the jars are being uploaded to ibiblio, you may get some
> jars from ibiblio and some from your local build.  Both of these can
> be fixed by building with 'maven -o' (offline mode), but you have to
> remember to type it.

Or you can put

maven.mode.online=false

into your build.properties in your geronimo directory (or home
directory). Then you'll be working of a fixed snapshot & Maven won't
update anything. Then just toggle the switch whenever you're ready to
live life on the edge, in the fast lane :)

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Daily builds

Posted by "Brendan W.McAdams" <bm...@sluggy.com>.
+1 to daily builds

+1 to james' suggestion of setting offline mode for maven in the
build.properties ... sounds like this would minimize some issues.

Re: Daily builds

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
The change to SNAPSHOT version is committed.

David pointed out to me that he already setup daily builds (duh I get
an email every day :) and all we need to do is ask the apache
infrastructure team where we should be stick the jars.  Anyway, daily
SNAPSHOT builds should go live next week sometime.

-dain

Re: Daily builds

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.