Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Robert L. Harris" <Ro...@rdlg.net> on 2002/01/14 22:08:16 UTC

NameVirutalHosts and SSL?

  I was informed I couldn't do https and namevhosts?  Looking at the
conf file, there appears a block of ssl settings inside the vhosts
block.  Was my informant wrong or am I SoL?

:wq!
                                \_       that important!
DISCLAIMER:
FYI:

RE: NameVirutalHosts and SSL?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Robert L. Harris [mailto:Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net]

> I was informed I couldn't do https and namevhosts?  Looking at the
> conf file, there appears a block of ssl settings inside the vhosts
> block.  Was my informant wrong or am I SoL?

It is correct that name-vhosts and SSL are fundementally incompatible.

However, you can use other kinds of vhosts with SSL (IP or port-based).  The
<virtualhost> section in the conf file is probably doing port-based virtual
hosting: the SSL default port is 443, while the standard default port is 80.

Joshua.