Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/24 15:00:10 UTC

Wicket serving DocBook?

Hi,

I'm not asking anyone to solve this one (ie., write any code), just
tell me *how* it might be done via Wicket, if it's possible.

In one of my earlier messages regarding validation of Wicket
pages, Jeremy Thomerson replied that Wicket "only generates
whatever HTML you want it to generate" and that got me thinking,
why generate HTML (or XHTML) at all? Why not use Wicket as a
means of generating something like DocBook or TEI?

This raises two questions:

  1. In looking into the Wicket code there are places that mention
      HTML/XHTML markup, but they don't seem part of the core
      functionality of Wicket. Is there anything that might keep me
      from generating DocBook instead of HTML? If Wicket is too
      tied into HTML (e.g., org.apache.wicket.markup.html.*) to be
      able to do this, what would it take to abstract the HTML-based
      functionality so that Wicket could serve any XML markup?

  2. If I were going to use the above to generate DocBook with
      the idea that Wicket's servlet then sent that through an
      XSLT post-processor, would this *only* require changes to
      the Wicket servlet prior to fulfilling the servlet response?
      That *seems* to be the case, but I'm still learning Wicket.

Basically, one could conceivably use Wicket in this mode as a
replacement for Apache Cocoon, but it'd be *much* simpler
and potentially very powerful.

Just an idea I'm exploring... would potentially have wide usage.

Thanks much!

Ichiro

Re: Wicket serving DocBook?

Posted by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com>.
Oh, believe me, I already have a few nails in mind...

Re: Wicket serving DocBook?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: Wicket serving DocBook?

Posted by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com>.