Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com> on 2014/05/05 18:04:54 UTC

New Chair for Apache River PMC

Hi all:

A few days ago I posted a request for a new PMC chair.  Peter nominated Dennis Reedy.  I haven’t seen a response from Dennis accepting the nomination.

Dennis - Are you willing to sit as PMC chair?
Is there anyone else who would like to volunteer?

As soon as we know who’s willing, we should hold a vote for the chair.  I suspect the actual vote should probably be on the private list, but nominations should be public.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk
PMC Chair, Apache River

Re: New Chair for Apache River PMC

Posted by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
+1

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.

Posted by Bryan Thompson <br...@systap.com>.
Sounds good.

Posted by Rafał Krupiński <ra...@sorcersoft.com>.

Posted by Bryan Thompson <br...@systap.com>.
Works for me.  Has compatibility, concurrency bug fixes, and performance gains,

Bryan

Posted by Michał Kłeczek <mi...@xpro.biz>.

Posted by Rafał Krupiński <ra...@sorcersoft.com>.
Dnia środa, 14 maja 2014 06:26:26 Bryan Thompson pisze:
> What is the argument for pushing out the qa_refactor based release?  Do you
> believe that it is not ready to evaluate in production systems?  Or do you
> believe that the rename is more important?  If so, why?  Just curious about
> people's perspectives here.

These changes (build and rename) can be made to current branch. It will be
easier to find any problems with the migration, if any.

Regards
Rafał

Re: New Chair for Apache River PMC

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
+1 for cutting qa_refactor to become 3.0 trunk.  I agree that doing the
package rename at the same time makes sense. I'm less fussed about the
modular build change.

+1 for Patricia as PMC chair, she sounds like she has a (positive) agenda.

On Thursday, May 15, 2014, Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net> wrote:
> There is little total value in doing anything to the non qa_refactor
code.  It  is what it is, and should just be left as it is for use of
anyone who might still want to use it for some odd reason.

> It would be best to just spend the effort on making qa_refactor into the
3.0.0 release.

> Peter has stated that there are no compatibility issues with the code in
qa_refactor.   He understand the API/source as well as the binary
compatibility issue, and the binary compatibility is the larger issue for
“evaluating” this codebase in any existing environment.

> The suggestion for use a compatibility layer for the rename takes care of
that issue.

> That just leaves it up to the community to jump in and do testing.
>
> I would strongly suggest that community testing should operate off of the
existing testing infrastructure, and we would want to extend those tests
with anything that we believe our own software might depend on working
appropriately so that others can help with that testing, as well as having
such dependencies documented in the test suite that will help keep that
compatibility in place for the future.

Posted by Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net>.

Posted by Bryan Thompson <br...@systap.com>.

Posted by Rafał Krupiński <ra...@sorcersoft.com>.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Posted by Dawid Loubser <da...@travellinck.com>.

Posted by Bryan Thompson <br...@systap.com>.
I am ok with it as long as the name change can be made transparent.  I think that the ability to roll forward and backward production code between the current and the next release trumps everything else.

Bryan

Posted by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 13, 2014, at 8:11 AM, Bryan Thompson <br...@systap.com> wrote:
>
> Is the name change a requirement for a 3.0?  The problem is that this will break compatibility making it extremely difficult to establish performance in existing applications while preserving the ability to rollback to a known good code base.  I would have to give a -1 to this.  We need to validate the release against running systems before changing the namespaces.  If that means keeping this a 2.x release, that's fine.

I think the name change is long over due and applicable with a major version change.

> What is the driver for the maven artifacts?  Is this an apache process issue or a feature request for some communities?

It was a request by some in the project and also by some that may want to contribute. It also moves away from the classdepandjar approach (noted you don't need maven to move away from classdepandjar).

Dennis

Posted by Bryan Thompson <br...@systap.com>.

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Thompson <br...@systap.com>.
+1

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 13, 2014, at 11:37 AM, Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> We might want to separate the two paths from a release perspective.
>
> The namespace changes should happen on a major numbered release.

Yes, from 2.x to 3.0. This is the time to do it, not in a minor release 3.0 to 3.1

Dennis

Re: New Chair for Apache River PMC

Posted by Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net>.

Posted by Bryan Thompson <br...@systap.com>.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
I think it would be interesting to have a discussion about any
shortcomings in the api and how things might be done differently with
modern knowledge, to determine whether we need to redesign the api and
if the extent required a full rewrite or just a backward compatiblity break.

So far I've managed to modernise the internals with promising results.
I'm working on a bug in JERI at present.  The public API has remained
compatible in keeping with general consensus.  I have a hard enough time
changing private code, the list is very conservative with change.

Regards,

Peter.

Posted by "Jeremy R. Easton-Marks" <J....@gmail.com>.

--
Jeremy R. Easton-Marks

"être fort pour être utile"

Re: New Chair for Apache River PMC

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
I think I've been heading slowly in that general direction; I'm still
fixing bugs.  Because there are ongoing concerns regarding the number of
internal changes to modernise the code (public api compatible), there's
no plan to make this a public release, but instead allow the community
to decide what to do with the code, there is significant support to make
these improvements, it's just the migration process is a source of
contention.   I do plan to produce release candidates for wider testing
in the near future however.

What I've worked on:

   1. Distributed objects, to replace Serializable, instead of using
      reflection to serialize an objects serial form, it serializes
      instructions to recreate objects remotely using method calls and
      arguments.  So now you can extend objects that aren't Serializable
      without a zero arg constructor and implement Distributed, and you
      can check invariants, copy arrays and Collections AND have final
      fields.
   2. Fixing Bugs, lots of bugs
   3. Eliminating unnecessary DNS calls.
   4. Making security scalable.
   5. We need access to decent hardware to perform real world testing.

What I'd like to do:

   1. UDT Sockets
   2. DNS-SRV Lookup Discovery
   3. Distributed Lambda Expressions
   4. Modular build

Good to hear River is still useful.

Regards,

Peter.

Posted by Bryan Thompson <br...@systap.com>.

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.

Posted by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Greg,

I think this is a position that has to be earned, rather than one to volunteer for.

Having said that, the community has remained silent on the issue, which tends to indicate either none of the remaining developers have the confidence of the community or that River has lost community interest.

Although there are times when we haven't seen eye to eye, you've made significant contributions of time and effort; performing maintenance releases and rewriting a new surrogate architecture implementation from the ground up.

If time is a problem, I can lodge board reports on your behalf.

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.
On May 5, 2014, at 1204PM, Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> A few days ago I posted a request for a new PMC chair.  Peter nominated Dennis Reedy.  I haven’t seen a response from Dennis accepting the nomination.
>
> Dennis - Are you willing to sit as PMC chair?

Apologies for the delay in responding. While I appreciate the nomination, at this point I dont think I can accept the position.

Thanks and regards

Dennis

Re: New Chair for Apache River PMC

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.