Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Dillian Murphey <cr...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/29 00:40:40 UTC

Basic 3 ZK, bring 1 down question.

If I have 3 ZK instances running on separate servers and I terminate one of
the servers, what should I expect to happen?

Will the remaining 2 zookeepers continue happily and stay online without
any interruption?

I'm using exhibitor/zookeeper and I'm attempting this scenerio and what I'm
seeing is my remaining 2 zookeepers go offline.  I thought the whole point
of having a majority was to allow a failure?

Thank you. I'm new so be kind.

Re: Basic 3 ZK, bring 1 down question.

Posted by Cameron McKenzie <mc...@gmail.com>.
Can't help you out on the Exhibitor front as I haven't used it. I'd have a
look at the configuration files it's generating though as it appears that
some of the nodes are configured as observers rather than fully fledged
node members.

Posted by Dillian Murphey <cr...@gmail.com>.
Oh, in fact, what happened was, I had 3 ZK nodes, and one was an observer.
When I brought down the one server, I didn't have a quorum (gotta love that
word).  So I had to manually change my zoo.cfg and remove the :observer
flag. Then my ZKs came back up.

So what am I doing wrong? I want to make sure a server can go down my ZKs
remain up. :)

thanks again!

Posted by John Sirois <jo...@gmail.com>.
You probably need to include your config at this point to debug further.

Posted by Dillian Murphey <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cameron McKenzie <mc...@gmail.com>.