Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de> on 2013/10/12 16:53:34 UTC

start translation of the docs into German language

Hi all,

as the documentation has found it's way into Futon and after having met Jan
at JSConf.eu with a short talk about how to participate in the project, I
am thinking about starting to translate the docs into German. I understood,
that the documentation source files are placed in /share/doc/src . Am I
right, that the only language available is English for now? If so, what
would be a good idea to start with multilingual docs? An idea would be to
have

/share/doc/src/en-GB
/share/doc/src/de-DE

and so on. Any thoughts about this?

Further more. What is the best way to compile the whole documentation? Is
there a best way to do or a good process?

Any ideas and help is highly appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

Re: start translation of the docs into German language

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about just docs@couchdb.apache.org? Short, simple and single place
> to discuss docs stuff for everyone.

I'd prefer to keep general docs stuff on dev for now. i18n is a very
different topic.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: start translation of the docs into German language

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
Noah,

awesome! https://translate.apache.org/ is exactly what I was thinking of
when I originally wrote, that it we need an overview page. If you set this
up this would be super cool!

So here's a short summary about what I think should be set up:

maybe we should use this one for communication so that the people know that
it's the letter "L")

CouchDB localization site:
https://translate.apache.org/projects/couchdb/(corresponding to
https://translate.apache.org/projects/aoo40/)

Thanks and Cheers

Andy

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: start translation of the docs into German language

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
Noah, thanks ! ;-)

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Tanks Noah! :)

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
(If anyone else wants to mod, shout.)

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: start translation of the docs into German language

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Pootle request:

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: start translation of the docs into German language

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.

Posted by Octavian Damiean <od...@linux.com>.
On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> if we do this, we have a strong association to the documentation and one
> might think, that the translation is just for the docs. But how a bout
> translating Futon / Fauxton one day? I prefer a name pointing to what the
> list is for - here we are speaking about translation for the whole project.
> So I vote for l10n@couchdb.apache.org. ;-)

Yep, totally agree with that. Hopefully this effort is not going to stop at
the documentation.

Cheers,​​
--
Octavian Damiean

GitHub: https://github.com/mainerror

Re: start translation of the docs into German language

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM, Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de> wrote:
> if we do this, we have a strong association to the documentation and one
> might think, that the translation is just for the docs. But how a bout
> translating Futon / Fauxton one day? I prefer a name pointing to what the
> list is for - here we are speaking about translation for the whole project.
> So I vote for l10n@couchdb.apache.org. ;-)

OK, I'm with it (:

--
,,,^..^,,,

Re: start translation of the docs into German language

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
Alex,

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Octavian Damiean <od...@linux.com>.
On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
​

> https://translate.apache.org/
>
> Let me know what you think, and I'll make the necessary requests.

​Oh that looks pretty good actually.
​
​Cheers,​

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Cool, that's not a problem.

The only other translation team list I can find at the ASF is the OO.org
one:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-l10n/

So perhaps we can copy them and go for l10n@couchdb.apache.org.

It might also be interesting to take a look at how they have things set up
there.

I spotted this too:

http://openoffice.apache.org/translate.html

And if you browse the archives, they seem to be using Pootle to collect
translations. In fact, we actually have an ASF instance of this which we
can start using right away.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: start translation of the docs into German language

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
Thanks Noah,

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: start translation of the docs into German language

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
+100 to all of this :D

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
Hi Octavian,

Posted by Octavian Damiean <od...@linux.com>.
Hello Andy,

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
Alex, Dave,

thanks for the input. I have some further comments ...

On 12 October 2013 17:43, Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> wrote

> >I think this is good idea, but it worth only if localized version(s)
> >will be synchronized with English one and be always up-to-dated. There
> >is nothing worst that outdated docs(:

yes this is true! I have two ideas about this. First I suggest to create a
new list called translation@couchdb.apache.org and find a good place for
information how to do translations and how to participate. What is needed
also is a status how far the translations in the different languages are
(simple table with red, orange, green is good enough). Missing translations
of the documentation MUST not stop a release but it SHOULD be the target to
have everything in sync.

Secondly, a good process is needed here. If the docs in English have been
changed, a push notification to the list should be send so that the
translators can translate the changed parts.

These are just first thoughts though ...

> >For localization process it's better to follow Sphinx guide about:
> >http://sphinx-doc.org/latest/intl.html
> >This approach is different from CouchDB: The Definition Guide, but
> >much more friendly and common for translators.

PostgreSQL is also using gettext and .po files. Yes, this is a  common way
for translators in a project.

>  >To compile whole documentation just:
> >git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb.git
> >cd couchdb
> >./bootstrap && ./configure
> >cd share/doc
> >make html
> >open in browser build/html/index.html file

Thanks - cool!

>  >Note, that following internationalization guide will require modify a
> >bit Makefile.

This is what Dave is discussing below I think ...

>  >--
> >,,,^..^,,,
>

> Thanks Andy
>
> +1 to Alex's comments, this sounds like a great idea!
>
> I am hoping some of the other project members have some experience on
> actually doing this, as I don't. I can suggest you look through
>
> - the current contribution steps:
>

> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/src/contributing.rst

I did that ...

> - how sphinx is configured:
>
>     http://sphinx-doc.org/config.html
>     https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/src/conf.py
>
> - and built within couchdb:
>

> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/build/Makefile.am
>     https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/DEVELOPERS
>
> Unless somebody else in the community has i8ln experience, I'd suggest
> doing some research to see how other projects handle this. I bet the python
> community has some best practice examples to share.

Unfortunately I do not have experience either. So I am hoping that this
post will encourage more people to write their ideas. I will have a deeper
look into Sphinx and see if I can figure out a good way to integrate the
I18n into couchdb (but I think I need some help ...).

> A+
> Dave

looking forward for more ;-)

Andy

Re: start translation of the docs into German language

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
On 18 October 2013 15:01, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de> wrote:

> Sphinx

> pootle
> >>
> >> I think .pot and .po files should be generated and let translators use
> >> tools they like. Pootle is good service to keep pulse on whole
> >> translation state.
> >>

> > yep!

> http://lickmychip.com/2011/11/28/multilingual-documentation-with-sphinx/
> >> )

> http://mark-story.com/posts/view/creating-multi-language-documentation-with-sphinx

> docs
> it's
> >> own
> the
> >>
> >> This approach looks simple in setup, but hell in support - we'll get
> >> different docs content for each language which will only confuse
> >> people and force them prefer "default language"  version.
> >>

> > this is a good point and from the organizational point of view I agree.
> But
> > at this point I don't know
> > how this can be avoided technically. I have to dig deeper into Sphinx and
> > check how
> > it is possible to have one source but many different translations of it.
>
> I have follow Sphinx guide:
> http://sphinx-doc.org/latest/intl.html
> and it was very-very trivial. But next issues are need to be solved:
>
> 1) Improve .po files generation to embed into them license header and
> correct meta information
> 2) Suggested sphinx-intl tool has integration with Transifex service.
> We need to change this for ASF Pootie one.
> 3) Improve Makefiles to generate all the docs for all the languages with
> easy

great Alex ;-) Thank you. My next task is to also follow the guide. So
actually I am not sure what my part is now!? I think with some
time I can to do the above steps. In step 2) you mean pootle right?

 Don't worry about Python's bits. I'll take care about them.

nice ;-) - I think I can do that also but if you want do take this part no
problem ...

>> Also, there is a big problem with RTD service: it doesn't supports
> >> multilang docs even if he promotes url with explicitly defined
> >> language - we should move docs hosting to somewhere else (CouchDB
> >> itself is good host).
> >

> > what is RTD?
>
> http://readthedocs.org/ - sphinx docs hosting service.
> http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/ is actually alias to
> couchdb.readthedocs.org/

ah ok - thanks for the clarification!

> Moving the documentation out of CouchDB is not the question. The question
> > is "where" to generate it. And the place where this has to be done is in
> the source of
> > the project and has to be bound to the release cycle.
>
> We have good guy Jankins that helps us with that! (:

there is a Jenkins build server - did not know that.

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 18. Oktober 2013 at 13:46:12, Andy Wenk (andy@nms.de) wrote:

>On 18 October 2013 01:25, Alexander Shorin wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM, Andy Wenk wrote:
>> >
>> > a. Here you can find a workflow description of translations with Sphinx
>> >
>> > http://sphinx-doc.org/latest/intl.html
>> >
>> > Do we also want the process of generation .pot and .po files to enable
>> > translators using a tool (e.g. http://www.poedit.net/) or using pootle
>> > translate in the specific language?
>>
>> I think .pot and .po files should be generated and let translators use
>> tools they like. Pootle is good service to keep pulse on whole
>> translation state.
>>

>yep!
>

>> > b. I found two examples for multilingual documentation of projects
>> >
>> > (1) https://github.com/alchemy-fr/Phraseanet-Docs (short description:
>> > http://lickmychip.com/2011/11/28/multilingual-documentation-with-sphinx/
>> )
>> >
>> > (2)
>> >
>> http://mark-story.com/posts/view/creating-multi-language-documentation-with-sphinx
>> >
>> > Both approaches are using a directory structure, where the different docs
>> > are located in a folder like en, de, es and so on. each folder has it's
>> own
>> > conf.py and a all.py in a conf directory for Shpinx. I think this is the
>> > way how it should be done.
>>
>> This approach looks simple in setup, but hell in support - we'll get
>> different docs content for each language which will only confuse
>> people and force them prefer "default language" version.
>>

>this is a good point and from the organizational point of view I agree. But
>at this point I don't know
>how this can be avoided technically. I have to dig deeper into Sphinx and
>check how
>it is possible to have one source but many different translations of it.
>

>> Also, there is a big problem with RTD service: it doesn't supports
>> multilang docs even if he promotes url with explicitly defined
>> language - we should move docs hosting to somewhere else (CouchDB
>> itself is good host).
>

>what is RTD?
>
>Moving the documentation out of CouchDB is not the question. The question
>is "where" to
>generate it. And the place where this has to be done is in the source of
>the project and has to
>be bound to the release cycle.
>
>Any further ideas, thoughts on this?

If you can fix the docs bit, I'll fix the releas-ey bit.

Re: start translation of the docs into German language

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
On 18 October 2013 01:25, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM, Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de> wrote:
> >
> > a. Here you can find a workflow description of translations with Sphinx
> >
> > http://sphinx-doc.org/latest/intl.html
> >
> > Do we also want the process of generation .pot and .po files to enable
> > translators using a tool (e.g. http://www.poedit.net/) or using pootle
> > translate in the specific language?
>
> I think .pot and .po files should be generated and let translators use
> tools they like. Pootle is good service to keep pulse on whole
> translation state.

yep!

> > b. I found two examples for multilingual documentation of projects
> >
> > (1) https://github.com/alchemy-fr/Phraseanet-Docs (short description:
> > http://lickmychip.com/2011/11/28/multilingual-documentation-with-sphinx/
> )
> >
> > (2)
> >
> http://mark-story.com/posts/view/creating-multi-language-documentation-with-sphinx
> >
> > Both approaches are using a directory structure, where the different docs
> > are located in a folder like en, de, es and so on. each folder has it's
> own
> > conf.py and a all.py in a conf directory for Shpinx. I think this is the
> > way how it should be done.
>
> This approach looks simple in setup, but hell in support - we'll get
> different docs content for each language which will only confuse
> people and force them prefer "default language"  version.

this is a good point and from the organizational point of view I agree. But
at this point I don't know
how this can be avoided technically. I have to dig deeper into Sphinx and
check how
it is possible to have one source but many different translations of it.

> Also, there is a big problem with RTD service: it doesn't supports
> multilang docs even if he promotes url with explicitly defined
> language - we should move docs hosting to somewhere else (CouchDB
> itself is good host).

what is RTD?

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
On 12 October 2013 17:43, Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> wrote:

> From: Alexander Shorin Alexander Shorin
> Reply: dev@couchdb.apache.org dev@couchdb.apache.org
> Date: 12. Oktober 2013 at 17:26:49
> To: dev@couchdb.apache.org dev@couchdb.apache.org
> Subject:  Re: start translation of the docs into German language
>

> >Hi Andy!
> >
> >I think this is good idea, but it worth only if localized version(s)
> >will be synchronized with English one and be always up-to-dated. There
> >is nothing worst that outdated docs(:
> >
> >For localization process it's better to follow Sphinx guide about:
> >http://sphinx-doc.org/latest/intl.html
> >This approach is different from CouchDB: The Definition Guide, but
> >much more friendly and common for translators.
> >
> >To compile whole documentation just:
> >git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb.git
> >cd couchdb
> >./bootstrap && ./configure
> >cd share/doc
> >make html
> >open in browser build/html/index.html file
> >
> >Note, that following internationalization guide will require modify a
> >bit Makefile.
> >--
> >,,,^..^,,,
>

> Thanks Andy
>
> +1 to Alex's comments, this sounds like a great idea!
>
> I am hoping some of the other project members have some experience on
> actually doing this, as I don't. I can suggest you look through
>
> - the current contribution steps:
>

> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/src/contributing.rst
>
> - how sphinx is configured:
>
>     http://sphinx-doc.org/config.html
>     https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/src/conf.py
>
> - and built within couchdb:
>

> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/build/Makefile.am
>     https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/DEVELOPERS
>
> Unless somebody else in the community has i8ln experience, I'd suggest
> doing some research to see how other projects handle this. I bet the python
> community has some best practice examples to share.
>
> A+
> Dave

I have started to have look at Sphinx and thinking about the integration of
L10n into CouchDB. Now here are two things I would like to get your ideas
on.

[...]

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

P.S.: When the L10n mailinglist is setup, I will move the discussion there
;-)

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
From: Alexander Shorin Alexander Shorin
Reply: dev@couchdb.apache.org dev@couchdb.apache.org