Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/14 18:03:56 UTC

[ALL] Binary archives without -bin incompatible with latest assembly plugin

The assembly descriptor id (e.g. <id>src</id>) is automatically
appended to the name of the archives created by the assembly plugin.

Up until version 2.2-beta-4 of the plugin, the <id> tag was allowed to
be empty, but with 2.2 this changed [1] - the id must now be
not-empty.
This means that for example the binary archives will have -bin
appended to the archive name.

There is a configuration item that can be used to suppress the suffix:
    <appendAssemblyId>false</appendAssemblyId>
However this suppresses the suffix for both bin and src (i.e. they
then have the same name), and it does not appear to be possible to
suppress the suffix only for the binary archives.

Therefore I think we should standardise on -bin (and -src) suffixes
for the archives (we cannot stay on assembly 2.2-beta4 forever).

This means ensuring that the appropriate property is set for the
commons download plugin:

        <commons.binary.suffix>bin</commons.binary.suffix>
        <commons.release.2.binary.suffix>bin</commons.release.2.binary.suffix>

S.

[1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/faq.html#required-classifiers

Re: [ALL] Binary archives without -bin incompatible with latest assembly plugin

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 16 May 2011 01:27, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 May 2011 00:21, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 5:03 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The assembly descriptor id (e.g. <id>src</id>) is automatically
>>> appended to the name of the archives created by the assembly plugin.
>>>
>>> Up until version 2.2-beta-4 of the plugin, the <id> tag was allowed to
>>> be empty, but with 2.2 this changed [1] - the id must now be
>>> not-empty.
>>> This means that for example the binary archives will have -bin
>>> appended to the archive name.
>>>
>>> There is a configuration item that can be used to suppress the suffix:
>>>    <appendAssemblyId>false</appendAssemblyId>
>>> However this suppresses the suffix for both bin and src (i.e. they
>>> then have the same name), and it does not appear to be possible to
>>> suppress the suffix only for the binary archives.
>>>
>>> Therefore I think we should standardise on -bin (and -src) suffixes
>>> for the archives (we cannot stay on assembly 2.2-beta4 forever).
>>>
>>> This means ensuring that the appropriate property is set for the
>>> commons download plugin:
>>>
>>>        <commons.binary.suffix>bin</commons.binary.suffix>
>>>        <commons.release.2.binary.suffix>bin</commons.release.2.binary.suffix>
>>
>> The default values for these in commons-parent is "-bin" - so there is
>> no need to set these in any component poms. The only reason these
>> binary suffix parameters were ever used was for pre-maven releases
>> that didn't have a suffix so that the download page could be correctly
>> generated.
>
> Ah, I understand now. I'd not noticed that these were overriding the
> parent parameters.
>
> I can therefore remove
>
> <commons.binary.suffix>
>
> from Commons Net. The other will have to remain as the 1.4.1 archives
> don't have the -bin suffix.

By the way, Math currently uses <id><id> in its bin.xml file; it
avoids the build error by using a beta version of the assembly plugin.

Re: [ALL] Binary archives without -bin incompatible with latest assembly plugin

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 5:03 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The assembly descriptor id (e.g. <id>src</id>) is automatically
> appended to the name of the archives created by the assembly plugin.
>
> Up until version 2.2-beta-4 of the plugin, the <id> tag was allowed to
> be empty, but with 2.2 this changed [1] - the id must now be
> not-empty.
> This means that for example the binary archives will have -bin
> appended to the archive name.
>
> There is a configuration item that can be used to suppress the suffix:
>    <appendAssemblyId>false</appendAssemblyId>
> However this suppresses the suffix for both bin and src (i.e. they
> then have the same name), and it does not appear to be possible to
> suppress the suffix only for the binary archives.
>
> Therefore I think we should standardise on -bin (and -src) suffixes
> for the archives (we cannot stay on assembly 2.2-beta4 forever).
>
> This means ensuring that the appropriate property is set for the
> commons download plugin:
>
>        <commons.binary.suffix>bin</commons.binary.suffix>
>        <commons.release.2.binary.suffix>bin</commons.release.2.binary.suffix>

The default values for these in commons-parent is "-bin" - so there is
no need to set these in any component poms. The only reason these
binary suffix parameters were ever used was for pre-maven releases
that didn't have a suffix so that the download page could be correctly
generated.

Niall

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14 May 2011 17:03, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The assembly descriptor id (e.g. <id>src</id>) is automatically
> appended to the name of the archives created by the assembly plugin.
>
> Up until version 2.2-beta-4 of the plugin, the <id> tag was allowed to
> be empty, but with 2.2 this changed [1] - the id must now be
> not-empty.
> This means that for example the binary archives will have -bin
> appended to the archive name.
>
> There is a configuration item that can be used to suppress the suffix:
>    <appendAssemblyId>false</appendAssemblyId>
> However this suppresses the suffix for both bin and src (i.e. they
> then have the same name), and it does not appear to be possible to
> suppress the suffix only for the binary archives.
>
> Therefore I think we should standardise on -bin (and -src) suffixes
> for the archives (we cannot stay on assembly 2.2-beta4 forever).
>
> This means ensuring that the appropriate property is set for the
> commons download plugin:
>
>        <commons.binary.suffix>bin</commons.binary.suffix>
>        <commons.release.2.binary.suffix>bin</commons.release.2.binary.suffix>

Sorry, that should be: