Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org> on 2013/10/24 11:21:06 UTC

Re: Fwd: [GSoC Mentors] Deadline for Google Code-in 2013 Mentoring Org Apps is Monday, Oct 28th at 19:00 UTC

No. I have forwarded this information to the ComDev PMC a few weeks back but nobody seems to have an
interest in driving this.

I think we have never participated in GCI because the tasks don't match well with what we do and
because mentoring juvenile high-school students is something very different than mentoring adult
college students and probably a lot more time-consuming too.

Cheers,

Uli

Re: [GSoC Mentors] Deadline for Google Code-in 2013 Mentoring Org Apps is Monday, Oct 28th at 19:00 UTC

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 24, 2013, at 5:21 AM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org> wrote:

> No. I have forwarded this information to the ComDev PMC a few weeks back but nobody seems to have an
> interest in driving this.
>
> I think we have never participated in GCI because the tasks don't match well with what we do and
> because mentoring juvenile high-school students is something very different than mentoring adult
> college students and probably a lot more time-consuming too.

Yes I agree. I was just wondering if you were submitting or not.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I think we have never participated in GCI because the tasks don't match well with what we do and
> because mentoring juvenile high-school students is something very different than mentoring adult
> college students and probably a lot more time-consuming too....

In 2008, the ASF did participate in
https://developers.google.com/open-source/ghop/ which was the
precursor of GCI.

To get a feel for what was done, see
https://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/list
(look for "all issues", not just open ones)

Nothing earth-shattering, but I have good memories of coordinating
that, and our projects got some good stuff out of it AFAICS.

If someone's willing to lead our participation in GCI that would be a
good thing IMO.

-Bertrand

Re: Fwd: [GSoC Mentors] Deadline for Google Code-in 2013 Mentoring Org Apps is Monday, Oct 28th at 19:00 UTC

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org>.
On 2013-10-24 22:34, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 24/10/2013 Ulrich Stärk wrote:
>> I think we have never participated in GCI because the tasks don't match well with what we do and
>> because mentoring juvenile high-school students is something very different than mentoring adult
>> college students and probably a lot more time-consuming too.
>
> OpenOffice is the odd project in many respects at the ASF, but it might be that we are interested.
> OpenOffice alone can easily find dozens of suitable tasks, we have a lot of committers (including
> teachers, including native speakers of many languages) who don't code but can perfectly mentor
> acceptable tasks, and our mailing lists see so many things that a teen answering compulsively and
> writing in all caps won't make news.
>
> I posted a note on the OpenOffice dev list: if we manage to put a reasonable number of mentors
> together in the allowed short time, I may ask that Apache applies. I realize that other Apache
> projects have difficulties in finding tasks (on the contrary, OpenOffice cannot easily find GSOC
> projects since development actions are either too simple -like the ones needed here- or too
> complex), so I'll ask that Apache applies only if the feedback leaves me reasonably convinced that
> OpenOffice can find and mentor enough tasks alone.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

If you decide that you want to participate I will submit an org application for the ASF. But please
tell me no later than monday morning UTC so that I have sufficient time for this. Also, I might need
some help phrasing some texts that the application might require so somebody on
IRC/Skype/$some_other_im to help me with this will be highly appreciated.

Uli

Re: Fwd: [GSoC Mentors] Deadline for Google Code-in 2013 Mentoring Org Apps is Monday, Oct 28th at 19:00 UTC

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.