Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Armin Waibel <ar...@code-au-lait.de> on 2003/11/06 20:52:26 UTC

commons-dbcp deprecate abandoned connection feature / change connection-pool element

Hi all,

in latest commons-dbcp version tracing of abandoned
connections was declared deprecated. Seems future versions do not
include a similar feature.
See
http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg19273.html

Thus I suggest to remove properties related to these feature
from the connection-pool element in repository.dtd.

Maybe it's better to make connection-pool more flexible
and we should allow to define custom attributes similar
to sequence-manager and object-cache element.

Currently

<connection-pool
             maxActive="1"
             maxIdle="2"
             maxWait="3"
             minEvictableIdleTimeMillis="4"
             numTestsPerEvictionRun="5"
             testOnBorrow="true"
             testOnReturn="true"
             testWhileIdle="true"
             timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="6"
             whenExhaustedAction="2"
             validationQuery="a query"
             logAbandoned="true"
             removeAbandoned="true"
             removeAbandonedTimeout="8"
         />

In future

<connection-pool>
   <attribute attribute-name="maxActive" attribute-value="1"/>
   <attribute attribute-name="maxIdle" attribute-value="2"/>
</connection-pool>

What do you think?

regards,
Armin

Re: commons-dbcp deprecate abandoned connection feature / change connection-pool element

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Armin Waibel dijo:
> Hi all,
>
> in latest commons-dbcp version tracing of abandoned
> connections was declared deprecated. Seems future versions do not
> include a similar feature.
> See
> http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg19273.html
>
> Thus I suggest to remove properties related to these feature
> from the connection-pool element in repository.dtd.
>
> Maybe it's better to make connection-pool more flexible
> and we should allow to define custom attributes similar
> to sequence-manager and object-cache element.
>
> Currently
>
> <connection-pool
>              maxActive="1"
>              maxIdle="2"
>              maxWait="3"
>              minEvictableIdleTimeMillis="4"
>              numTestsPerEvictionRun="5"
>              testOnBorrow="true"
>              testOnReturn="true"
>              testWhileIdle="true"
>              timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="6"
>              whenExhaustedAction="2"
>              validationQuery="a query"
>              logAbandoned="true"
>              removeAbandoned="true"
>              removeAbandonedTimeout="8"
>          />
>
> In future
>
> <connection-pool>
>    <attribute attribute-name="maxActive" attribute-value="1"/>
>    <attribute attribute-name="maxIdle" attribute-value="2"/>
> </connection-pool>
>
> What do you think?

Great! KISS is a nice philosophy. :-D

Best Regards,