Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Doug Hall <do...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/11 18:26:35 UTC

Backward compatibility

Forgive a newbie, but if Harmony passes, would there be an effort to
write the deprecated code? Personally, I would hope not - at least not
initially. But wouldn't it need to include them to pass compatibility
tests (TCK), or do these tests only test the current API?

Doug

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by Rodrigo Kumpera <ku...@gmail.com>.
If it´s not 100% API equivalent, then it cannot be called Java. The
announcement says that Harmony is about free java.

Rodrigo

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by kna KnA'hr <xu...@gmail.com>.
ok, im nobody ... bt please tell me:
 is it just a plan off you to create this alternati ve thing or did someone
wlready start?
 which peolpe are involved in the projekt any bigletter names on its title?
 ...how much of the code must be handwritte, in which language?
 does the language you write a vm in make any sense, i mean, it it important
if you write it in c or java, plz make me wiser
 thanks so far - xJnkNa

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by FaeLLe <mr...@gmail.com>.

--
www.FaeLLe.com <http://www.FaeLLe.com>

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by Kev Jackson <ke...@it.fts-vn.com>.

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by FaeLLe <mr...@gmail.com>.
Sorry but you miss two major points. (Please do correct me this is my
understanding by observing content on Harmony)

--
www.FaeLLe.com <http://www.FaeLLe.com>

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by Kev Jackson <ke...@it.fts-vn.com>.

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by FaeLLe <mr...@gmail.com>.
Your going to make him lose his job by suggesting such a thing.

--
www.FaeLLe.com <http://www.FaeLLe.com>

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Gerry Steele wrote:
> Hi
>
> I actually did seem a bit cynical there.
>
> I forgot to mention that if there is anything I can do to help let me know
> or perhaps I'll keep an eye on the lists. I've experience with the JCK &
> other tests so I could be useful in the QA area considering it's quite an
> esoteric task. I do believe that variety and competition is good in software
> for everyone. Though I do feel a bit sorry for sun.. they put up the money
> to develop and create the Java world we have now and everyone seems to want
> it for their own.

ehm, before apache got interested in servlets, java was a technology to
implement applets in web pages. It was because of the Servlet API that
java started to be considered as a serious platform and Apache was
instrumental for that in releasing the state-of-the-art servlet engines
since 1997.

The java world is thankful to Sun and to Apache. Sun and Apache are
thankful to one another and respect each other deeply.

Sun is afraid of open source because they claim it will be easy for big
corporations to steer away from JVM compatibility. It's like parents
that are afraid of seeing their kids go out of the house: understandable
and irrational at the same time.

We want to show them there is no such a fear to have, just like having
Tomcat the biggest player in the servlet engine market *helped*
stabilizing the servlet technology, not the other way around.

So, they claimed that servlets were already a wasteland for strategy
reasons, so we created Geronimo.

And now that we are ready to show how open source support for J2EE makes
the compatibility promise stronger, not weaker, we felt ready to push to
the next and final level: the VM.

The message is clear: open source and free software are allies, not
enemies: they all drink at the same stream, polluting it with
incompatibilities would be suicidal for a community-driven development.

Apache gives the proper legal, economical and social contracts that are
needed for the java world to feel confident that evolution won't mean
fragmentation.

The *only* reason why Sun wants to keep spending all that money in
writing a JVM is because they are afraid that if they let go, others
will run the show.

We talked and talked and talked for *years* to try to convince Sun this
was not the case, we got even very close at one point, but then the
bubble exploded, people got burned and the deal went down the drain.

We are sick of talking.

It's time we do what we are best at: build communities that write
software that becomes the *de facto* standard in their space.

And look around: we have a pretty good history of doing that.

> And they don't exactly ask for a lot from users..... just
> remember that the nearest competitor costs a small fortune.

Oh, we know that. Look at gump: do you think we really want to rewrite
all those million lines of code?

> Another sidenote is Project Peabody. All those bugs in Mustang that have
> been bothering you are now open to anyone to submit fixes.
> http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/peabody/

That is a step forward, very true, but that is not open source and not
an environment where the more I commit the more I can influence
architectural decisions. If just feels like I'm working for you for
free: you will get fixes, but no innovation.

> And you get a free t-shirt when you contribute!

Big deal, here you get enough visibility and respect to earn 20K$ more
at your next job. ;-)

--
Stefano.

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 11, 2005, at 8:59 PM, Karen Bennet wrote:

> Gerry,
>
> Additional help in testing is always welcome. However,
>
> your posting makes me wonder why Sun wouldn't enable
> this project to leapfrog whose 4-5 years to a product
> like Tiger by donating the missing pieces.   This
> would enable the community to work alongside Sun in
> the development of mustang and dolphin in an
> collaborative development model.  I'm not sure if
> feasibility or not
> but you did say if there was anything that you could
> do to help ...  maybe an internal Sun employee might
> have a better chance of convincing their employer that
> collaboration around this technology would benefit
> them and potentially get Java development accelerated
> with future ideas.

I've brought this us with Sun - how they can support us and support
compatibility with contributions.  I don't want to push on this -
they know what we need (I mean, if anyone does, they do)...

I personally am not interested in this being a forcing function :)

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by Karen Bennet <be...@yahoo.com>.
Gerry,

> [...]

> suites take several days
> > > run. Some take many many hours of man power. For
> excessive thoroughness
> > > there also manual JCJCKnd regression test
> suites. Which, trust me, will
> > > not
> > > be performed by someone who isn't being paid for
> it. Things like this
> > > don't
> > > fit well with the community model.
> > >
> > > Another worry I have is that the effort here
> might be better redirect to
> > >
> > > some other project. We already have Java. Even
> if harmony does make it
> > > to a
> > > ususeableelease people will still prefer to use
> the Sun VMVMIt will be
> > > the
> > > platform people build on and it will be the one
> they trust.
> > >
> > > I'll be very interested in how this turns out.

=== message truncated ===

Discover Yahoo!

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by Gerry Steele <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by FaeLLe <mr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 12, 2005, at 8:29 PM, FaeLLe wrote:

> Everytime i read posts from you lot at Apache i feel more conviced
> this
> thing is going to be one huge success.

Thanks - we hope so.  It's going to be a lot of work by a lot of
people...

> I cant imagine how convincing your salesmen must be !! (If you
> indeed did
> have salesment to market).

At Apache? :)

geir

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by FaeLLe <mr...@gmail.com>.

--
www.FaeLLe.com <http://www.FaeLLe.com>

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 11, 2005, at 8:03 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> if Harmony fails to write even a single line of code, but helps
> building better social bridges and making a 'free and open
> certified JVM' a reality, I won't consider it a failure.

Indeed.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Gerry Steele wrote:

> I'll be very interested in how this turns out.

Gerry,

if Harmony fails to write even a single line of code, but helps building
better social bridges and making a 'free and open certified JVM' a
reality, I won't consider it a failure.

Helping out doesn't mean rewriting in the sake of "my license is holier
than yours", both camps are rather pragmatic at licensing issues...
unfortunatley we have to deal with other people that are not so
pragmatic, or with scenarios/egos so big that can hardly be moved or
even routed around.

So, don't tell us in how many ways we can fail, we know all those
already (and more ;-)

Let's do one step at a time and don't look at how many steps there are
to make: the worst way to fail is not to try at all :-)

--
Stefano.

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Robert Schuster wrote:

> I want to jump at the chance to send my kindest regards to my fellow
> hackers from the Apache community: Thanks for getting together - this
> cooperation will rock!

<bowing and taking my hat-with-the-feather (pun intended) off/>

It is my (and others') deep pleasure!

Together, we are stronger and we will have more fun :-)

The differences between us are a lot smaller than the similarities. It's
time to build on that.

--
Stefano.

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by Robert Schuster <th...@gmx.net>.

Hi.

> I hope you understand what sticking to the TCK entails. When it comes to
> implementing GUI stuff for instance, your platform will have to fully copy
> the official JVM's Swing/AWT widgets and all other details in order for the
> automation and robot driven tests to pass. The JCK testbase for tiger is
> immense. To get it setup and run is a skill on its own. To get it to pass
> all tests takes a serious am mount of tweaking and a noteable knowledge of
> the javatest harness. It will require implementations on things as extensive
> as CORBA and RMI. We would need passive agents, tname servers etc.
Ok. We also have an evergrowing test suite called mauve[0].

> Also, when running the TCK bear in mind that you'll have to run the harness
> with the Sun VM.
>
> I'm not sure about the particular extent of the testsuite provided with the
> TCK you guys are talking about (if there is interest can find out more), but
> the JCK, which is basically a TCK for the entire J2SE jre and jdk will be
> going on impossible to pass for an alternative implmentation as everything
> is written with the Sun JDK/JRE in mind and test cases are adapted in ways
> that will create an infinite unpredictable series of problems when trying to
> adapt your code.
I am not sure whether this speaks in favor of the TCK. A testsuite
should IMHO be implementation independent ...

> Also, don't forget about quality. Sun put a serious amount of money and
> manpower into ensuring the quality and compatibility of the JVM. A lot of
> corporations depend on this. They have a regular update release cycle. For
> instance we are currently working on 1.3.1_16, 1.4.2_09, 5.0_04 & 5.0_05.
Sorry for poking on this but I want to shatter your believe in "serious
amount of money and manpower" a bit:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/awt/BasicStroke.html#feedConsumer(sun.dc.path.PathConsumer,%20java.awt.geom.PathIterator)

Beware: We have more of these bloopers ;)

> Another worry I have is that the effort here might be better redirect to
> some other project.
This is an often heard suggestion but IMHO it simply does not work this
way: People here have not gathered because they have too much time or
find no place to put their work resources to. The fine people from
Apache met to implement J2SE5 and nothing else.

> We already have Java.
People have various reasons for their commitment. Since I am a GNU
Classpath developer with a strong stance for software freedom you can
guess mine. ;)

> Even if harmony does make it to a
> useable release people will still prefer to use the Sun VM. It will be the
> platform people build on and it will be the one they trust.
I for myself have no problem with Sun's VM being used by the majority.
Again I think people here will do this project for the fun/joy/... of it
not neccessarily because they dream of world domination. (= intrinsic
motivation) :)

I want to jump at the chance to send my kindest regards to my fellow
hackers from the Apache community: Thanks for getting together - this
cooperation will rock!

cu
Robert

[0] - http://sources.redhat.com/mauve/

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by Dmitry Serebrennikov <dm...@earthlink.net>.
I thinking you worry too much :) Maybe Sun is just making it all too
complicated ;)

If nothing else, perhaps with some competition Sun will finally start
fixing all those bugs in the bugparade that have been there for years
and years (like flaky filesystem operations, weird out of memory errors,
and the like). Just take a look how Microsoft has gotten off their ass
once Linux has really became popular. VM can't be that much more
complicated than an operating system, can it?

-dmitry

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by Gerry Steele <ge...@gmail.com>.

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Doug Hall wrote:

> On May 11, 2005, at 11:45 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Deprecated or non deprecated, we want Harmony to pass the TCK, so
>> whatever the TCK wants us to do, we'll do it.
>

> So what's the point? If all you're trying to do is duplicate J2SE 5,
> what advantage is there to making it an open source project? As soon as
> you "improve" something, aren't you're likely to break the API?
>
> Is this really an attempt to get Sun to open source Java?
>
> I'm not trying to be critical or anything. Just wondering what's the point?

The TCK tests the 'functionality' of the underlying JVM, not things like:

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by Doug Hall <do...@gmail.com>.

Re: Backward compatibility

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 11, 2005, at 12:45 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Doug Hall wrote:
>
>> Forgive a newbie, but if Harmony passes, would there be an effort
>> to write the deprecated code? Personally, I would hope not - at
>> least not initially. But wouldn't it need to include them to pass
>> compatibility tests (TCK), or do these tests only test the current
>> API?
>>

> Deprecated or non deprecated, we want Harmony to pass the TCK, so
> whatever the TCK wants us to do, we'll do it.

Yes - to chime in here, we don't just want to squeak by.  We want to
be just as good as anything else.  We may optimize the deprecated
APIs later, but we won't avoid doing them - J2SE users expect to have
those APIs in an implementation that calls itself Java, and so we
shall :)

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Backward compatibility