Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/03 21:58:08 UTC

Re: Implementation.spring Questions

Hi,

Sorry, I've been a bit slow getting to your questions.

scyip12@rogers.com wrote:
> We were looking into using implementation.spring, but had a couple
> of questions. We have a spring context with elements common across
> all of our services (aspects, host connection beans, caching, etc.)
> so we've been using the singleton version of the application context
> in our system.

How are you using that singleton version of the application context?
Can you describe its configuration and use in some more detail, please.

> Is there actually any way with implementation.spring to configure
> which application context Tuscany will use?

Not with the current implementation - an application context is created
from the file identified in the <implementation.spring.../> element.

> Will Tuscany share Spring contexts if they are based on the same file?

Not currently.  But in SCA terms, this is not the way I would look at
the requirement.  If I understand things properly, it sounds as if you
want to have a Spring component shared by a bunch of other components -
and that you want a single copy of the shared component.  In SCA terms
this smacks of being a composite-scoped component (ie there is a single
copy of the component instance used for all invocations of services of
the component).

> Or maybe some way to configure the scope?

Not at the moment - the current Spring implementation does not handle
Scope - but I'll be happy to work on it with you.  Scope has been
implemented for SCA Java POJOs and I'm sure that it would not be too big
a deal to extend that to Spring components.

> Also, we haven't fully investigated yet, but it seems like only one
> bean is being properly exposed as a service in a single Spring
> component. Is this by design?

OK, the code is designed to expose as Services as follows:

a) If there are explicit <sca:service.../> elements in the application
context file, those and only those are exposed as services (one for one)

b) If there are NO explicit <sca:service.../> elements in the
application context file, then each bean in the application context is
made into a service.

If you're only getting one service then this may well be a bug.  Are you
able to share your application context with me - or provide a simple
testcase that shows the failure, please?

> Any answers would be much appreciated.

Glad to work with you - nice to have some real users   ;-)

Yours,  Mike.