Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by PHIL CAVAZOS <ph...@salemhospital.org> on 2003/04/21 18:44:10 UTC

Port 8080

I'm in the process of newly installing Tomcat 4 on Linux 9. I would to know from anyone if port 8080 has to be the incoming port read for java servlets or JSP? Can I modify Tomcat to read from my Apache server's standard port? If, so how?

This message and any included attachments is from Pacific Health
Horizons and is intended for the sole use of the individual and
entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that
is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee or
authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are
hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or
distribute to anyone the message or any information contained
in the message.  If you have received this message in error,
please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete
the message.

Re: Port 8080

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
If you modify Tomcat to "read from apache's standard port" then Apache
won't work.  Only one service may bind to a particular port on a particular
IP address at any given time.

If Apache is listening on 1.2.3.4:80, then nothing else can listen there.

If you want Tomcat to listen on port 80, you change the CoyoteConnector in
server.xml to listen on 80 instead of 8080, and restart Tomcat.  NOTE:  you
will need to kill Apache and ensure that it does not startup again, and you
will need to run Tomcat as 'root'.

If you must have Apache, or you do not wish to run Tomcat as root on port
80 (lots of admins don't like this), then you will need to install and
configure a connector (mod_jk or mod_jk2), or use mod_proxy or some other
solution such as mod_rewrite to have Apache relay requests to Tomcat.
Various HOWTOs for doing this exist.

John