Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Chemi <jm...@terra.es> on 2004/11/05 17:05:08 UTC

[Commons-net NTTP]: Problem getting info of a Newsgroup

Hi, I am getting the list of newsgroups from a NNTP Server (James
v2.2.0) with:

    NNTPClient client = new NNTPClient();
    client.addProtocolCommandListener(new DebugCommandListener(logger));
    client.connect(this.host,this.port);
    NewsgroupInfo[] newsgroupInfo = client.listNewsgroups();

DebugCommandListener is a class which prints in the console all the NNTP
Protocol traffic. In my case, I have some newsgroups with zero articles
so I see this answer from the server in the console:

    211 0 0 0 org.apache.james.user group selected

But when I get the total number of articles with:

    newsgrouInfo[x].getArticlecount()

it returns 1. And it should return 0. Right?

Is this a known bug? Am I missing anything? Reading javadoc information,
I see "Get the estimated number of articles in the newsgroup. The
accuracy of this value will depend on the server implementation.". But
as I said when I print the answer from the server I can see 0 as the
number of articles.

By the way, I am using commons-net 1.2.2

Thanks in advance,

    Chemi.

Re: [Commons-net NTTP]: Problem getting info of a Newsgroup

Posted by Chemi <jm...@terra.es>.
Sorry. My previous note was not accurate.
When I get the list, I don't see that info in the console (I don't know
why but it seems the client doesn't select the newsgroup). I see that
info when I select the newsgroup:

    NNTPClient client = new NNTPClient();
    client.addProtocolCommandListener(new DebugCommandListener(logger));
    client.connect(this.host, this.port);
    client.selectNewsgroup(this.newsgroup);

But the question/problem still the same. Why getArticleCount() returns 1
if the server said 0.

Thanks,

    Chemi.