Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz> on 2004/04/03 10:13:46 UTC

Re: Patch proposal: SMTP appender post-trigger filtering by NDC

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 15:55, Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've just completed a patch for SMTPAppender which uses NDC to filter
> the messages in the generated email so that only buffered messages which
> are "related" to the triggering event are included in the email.
>
> The app I need this feature for processes multiple message types
> concurrently in different threads, and if an error for message X occurs
> I want the resulting email to exclude debug/info/warn/etc messages about
> unrelated messages being processed at the same time, and about messages
> previously processed by the same thread which were not followed by a
> triggering event. By using a modified SMTPAppender, and setting the NDC
> to the "message id" when starting processing of a specific message, I
> get the desired effect.
>
> Note that this is not the same as filtering, which decides which
> messages go into the buffer. [Potentially, this could be implemented by
> invoking a "post-trigger" filter object rather than hard-coding the
> behaviour into the appender as shown below].
>
> Is there any interest in including this feature in log4j?

I didn't get any replies from the original posting. I hope no-one minds
this repost; I just want to make sure it didn't just get missed.

I understand that there would be a reasonable amount of work to knock
the code in my original posting into shape. If people here are
interested in the patch, I am willing to do so.

Here's a link to the complete original post:
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4j-dev&m=108027331108040&w=2

Cheers,

Simon