Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "t.n.a." <tn...@sharanet.org> on 2005/03/04 01:26:06 UTC

parameter to a tapestry app

Problem: passing a parameter (via, GET or POST) from a, for instance,
php web page as input to a tapestry application.
Now, I've read a bit about defining new services to handle bookmarkable
pages (from what I understand, the problem boils down to making the
first page bookmarkable), I've looked at the vlib example and I just
can't believe it takes more than a couple of lines of code (certainly
not pages and pages of it like in the example!) to do the job.
Anyway, my question is this: what is the minimum sequence of steps
needed to allow a page to receive a single integer parameter?
A simple, small example is all I need...

Regards,
Tomislav

Re: parameter to a tapestry app

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
You could create your own ExternalBasePage that implements the
IExternalPage interface, though.  Neither memory nor security are the
reason for the current design - its because they were considered
conceptually different by Howard, I suspect.

All pages are externally reachable:

	/app?service=page/PageName

There just is not an entry point for receiving parameters.  It makes
more sense to me for PageLink and ExternalLink to merge into one link,
with parameters optional.  I treat them basically the same in my apps.

What would be the drawback to only a single link that goes to a page
with parameters optional?

	Erik

Posted by "t.n.a." <tn...@sharanet.org>.

Posted by Danny Mandel <dm...@tolweb.org>.
public class SomeExternalPage implements IExternalPage {
    public void activateExternalPage(Object[] parameters, IRequestCycle
cycle) {
       Integer someParam = (Integer) parameters[0];
       setSomeInteger(someParam);
    }

    public abstract void setSomeInteger(Integer value);
    public abstract Integer getSomeInteger();
}

Then to pass the param:

http://host/appname/app?service=external/SomeExternalPage&sp=1

Voila!