Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Ryan Champlin <ry...@firstlogic.com> on 2004/01/01 00:18:30 UTC

Passing XML as a parameter

What is the proper way to handle passing an XML document as a parameter to a
method in a web service?
Current we have a .Net implementation that we are trying to call from a
simple test utility and when we send this parameter we always need to make
sure the entire string is encoded ( < = &lt;) for that particular string or
it doesn't work.  We had tried building a .Net client
and we don't have to explicitly encode the string that we pass.    How are
XML docs within SOAP message parameters typically handled?

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: Passing XML as a parameter

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
If you really want to pass the contents of an XML document, you should use the messaging API.  The messaging sample demonstrates the use of that API.

If you want to use the RPC API, i.e. you really have parameters, not some XML document, my advice would be to post the WSDL for the .NET service to this list so that you can receive good advice, not guesses based on what people think you might be trying to do.

Scott Nichol

specific mail lists.