Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Leo Sutic <le...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/07 11:35:01 UTC

[Attributes] Leaving project

Hi All,

I'm abandoning the Commons Attributes project. I simply do not have
the time to keep it going any more.

I have now "intended" to get a 2.2 release out for *nine months* but
haven't found the time to actually do it in all that time. That, if
anything, is a clue that it is time to just admit defeat.

What finally made me realize this was when I looked at the Jakarta
Commons release guidelines. When I see a 39 step checklist for
releases I don't see "release early, release often". I see myself
losing my will to live. There is something wrong when the release
process is twice as long as the time it takes to get all bugfixes and
new features in for the release.

Therefore: The current snapshots (which you can download from the
project home page as 2.2 RC) will be the last I produce. For all
intents and purposes, consider them the "final" 2.2 release.

/LS

Re: [Attributes] Leaving project

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@gmail.com>.
On 7/9/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/9/06, Leo Sutic <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Bugfixes and a move to qdox instead of xjavadoc to parse source files.
>
> Why the qdox move? (just in case I have to write the release notes :) ).

I ran into some parsing errors with xjavadoc. In particular this one
did it for me: xjavadoc has a nasty habit of introducing '='
characters in the parse result. So if you feed it '@@Name ( "xyz" )'
it tells you that it has read '@@Name (="xyz" )'.

> > So, 2.2 and then move it to dormant, or?
>
> Pretty much, though not the same dormant as the dead sandbox stuff.
>
> Do you plan to hang around in Commons, or is Attributes the only one
> you really had much interest in?

Well, it boils down to a matter of time. As it is, I cant even keep up
with "my own" project (attributes), so heling out with any other
project is just out of the question.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 7/9/06, Leo Sutic <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/7/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/7/06, Leo Sutic <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I'm abandoning the Commons Attributes project. I simply do not have
> > > the time to keep it going any more.
> >
> > Understandable. Given that Attributes sounds like it i replaced by JDK
> > 1.5, and end of life was always on the cards.
>
> Agreed. (I have actually made this explicit in the FAQ since day one.)
>
> > Yep. Which one is the 39 step one?
>
> Preparation + release checklists. So actually, 39 steps in two lists.

Gotya. My opinion - it's a mix of having detailed release notes and lots to do.

> > > Therefore: The current snapshots (which you can download from the
> > > project home page as 2.2 RC) will be the last I produce. For all
> > > intents and purposes, consider them the "final" 2.2 release.
> >
> > What's the story with 2.2? Lots of bugfixes, or a reworking of the code
> > or ...?
>
> Bugfixes and a move to qdox instead of xjavadoc to parse source files.

Why the qdox move? (just in case I have to write the release notes :) ).

> Getting 2.2 out would be a nice endcap, and if you could just get the
> thing out in accordance with specs, that would be absolutely
> fantastic. I'll stick around to get 2.2 out if $SOMEONE_ELSE (you) do
> the release manager stuff.

Sounds good. I'll have a kick around with it tonight. It's a
multiproject, so not quite as easy to jump into as some of the others.

> So, 2.2 and then move it to dormant, or?

Pretty much, though not the same dormant as the dead sandbox stuff.

Do you plan to hang around in Commons, or is Attributes the only one
you really had much interest in?

We've a bunch of components in Jakarta in a similar situation where
there's no pressure to think of new releases and the coders are just
keeping a vague eye on. Harder to do in Commons as the noise of the
other components mean that it can't be like ORO, ECS etc where things
are quiet and boring.

Hen

Re: [Attributes] Leaving project

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 7/7/06, Leo Sutic <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm abandoning the Commons Attributes project. I simply do not have
> the time to keep it going any more.

Understandable. Given that Attributes sounds like it i replaced by JDK
1.5, and end of life was always on the cards.

> I have now "intended" to get a 2.2 release out for *nine months* but
> haven't found the time to actually do it in all that time. That, if
> anything, is a clue that it is time to just admit defeat.

I'm quite happy to volunteer as release-manager for components. I
think I'm back into the flow of how to do things after doing the
FileUpload release.

> What finally made me realize this was when I looked at the Jakarta
> Commons release guidelines. When I see a 39 step checklist for
> releases I don't see "release early, release often". I see myself
> losing my will to live. There is something wrong when the release
> process is twice as long as the time it takes to get all bugfixes and
> new features in for the release.

Yep. Which one is the 39 step one? The one I found immediately is a 16
step one (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/release.html).

> Therefore: The current snapshots (which you can download from the
> project home page as 2.2 RC) will be the last I produce. For all
> intents and purposes, consider them the "final" 2.2 release.

What's the story with 2.2? Lots of bugfixes, or a reworking of the code or ...?

I'm wondering if it would be best to try and lure you into hanging
around while we did a 2.2 release that then lacked anyone to do much
in the way of bugfixes, or if it would be best to close up shop and
pretend 2.2 didn't get anywhere.

Hen