Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by adel ben <ad...@excite.com> on 2001/05/08 12:43:10 UTC

is FOP a standard?

hi,

are FOP and cocoon  standards? if not are they able to be standards? when?

sincerely, adel

Re: is FOP a standard?

Posted by Weiqi Gao <we...@networkusa.net>.
On 08 May 2001 13:02:36 +0100, Alex McLintock wrote:

> is this a troll?

I don't think it's a troll.  The question can be legitimately asked
along the lines of the 'pluggability layer' approach of JAXP/TrAX.

I'm writing a research opinion for adopting open source XML/XSLT/XSL
software for a client who's very concerned about vendor lock-ins and
long term survivabilities of their chosen product.  Whereas for XML
parsing and XSLT transformation I can say 'use JAXP 1.1, SAX 2, and DOM
Level 2 Core', for XSL processors I have to say 'currently no standards
exists for programatically accessing the XSL processor FOP, proprietary
APIs has to be used.'

I understand a pluggability API has to be hashed out amoungst all the
vendors (and I don't know who the other vendors are).  I also understand
FOP developers are focusing on the core functionalities rather than the
public APIs for embedding FOP in Java applications.  Plus I'm under the
impression that FOP don't want to be adopted too soon, which ties their
developers hands at evolving the FOP product.

Nevertheless, I would say FOP, as it stands now, does solve my clients
problem (pretty straight-forward business grade---customer statements,
quotes, short memos---documents that is generated dynamically from XML
sources).  And I would recommend adopting it, and, follow the
development quite closely.

--
Weiqi Gao
weiqigao@networkusa.net

Re: is FOP a standard?

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@yahoo.com>.
Arrgh -

is this a troll?

How about reading the websites for either project, reading some documentation,
inserting foot into mouth, and then asking your question.

They are both "applications" and therefore cannot be a "standard" which is a document.

If you are asking whether FOP follows some particular standard in the way it
does things then yes. Read the FAQ, or the docs, or look in the mail archives.

There is a link to the XSL-FO spec here

http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xsl-20001121/

Of course with a version number like 0.19 you would be correct in thinking
that FOP doesn't implement the whole spec yet.

As for Cocoon - wrong mailing list.

Alex

--- adel ben <ad...@excite.com> wrote: > hi,

=====