Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by al...@my-sandro.net on 2007/01/23 21:30:51 UTC

session and AJP

I'm trying to set up an AJP connector between Apache 2 (red hat) and
Tomcat 5.5 (red hat) running on two different servers.

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName server2.domain.com
DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
JkMount /id/admin/* tomcat559
</VirtualHost>

worker.list=tomcat559,jboss322
worker.tomcat559.maintain=60
worker.tomcat559.type=ajp13
worker.tomcat559.port=8009
worker.tomcat559.host=intServer.domain.com
worker.jboss322.maintain=60
worker.jboss322.type=ajp13
worker.jboss322.port=8009
worker.jboss322.host=server3.domain.com

If I call the following url
http://server2.domain.com/id/admin/
The web application running on Tomcat correctly asks me for a user
identification. Once I enter the user name and password a file not found
back to me.

Error. The file was not found.
filename = /etc/httpd/htdocs/im/admin/index.jsp

On Tomcat I get the following message
[Channel Socket] Connection timeout reached

I also made a test with the sample application which is included in the Tomcat installation.
 /jsp-examples/sessions/carts.html
and it reported the same kind of error while inside the firewall, with a url like this
http://intServer.domain.com:8080/jsp-examples/sessions/carts.html
the sample application works fine.

I guess my problem is related to the session and connector.
Can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Alessandro Ilardo

Re: session and AJP

Posted by Alessandro Ilardo <al...@my-sandro.net>.
Ok, I think is better if I give the scenario:
A Tomcat 5.5 and JBoss are behind a firewall, they serve external
request exclusively trough a connector used by an Apache HTTP reachable
from Internet.
As I'm in a Tomcat mailing list I'll only refer to the sample
application which is included in the Tomcat installation, but the same
kind of error happens with JBoss.
(in the following code I omitted ONLY the domain in order to protect it,
I hope it doesn't confuse)

calling this sample application directly from Tomcat I don't get any errors
http://saturn.domain.com:8080/jsp-examples/sessions/carts.htm

while if I try to get the same application trough Apache HTTP
http://www.xxxxxxx.eu/jsp-examples/sessions/carts.html
As soon as I try to submit the form I get the this error (perhaps from
Apache HTTP)
Error. The file was not found. (filename =
/etc/httpd/htdocs/jsp-examples/sessions/carts.jsp)

These are the Access Logs from Tomcat (the first attempt) and Apache
HTTP (second attempt)
xx.xx.xx.185 - - [24/Jan/2007:10:36:51 +0000] "GET
/jsp-examples/sessions/carts.jsp?item=NIN+CD&submit=add HTTP/1.1" 200 2027
(it works)

Access log calling the same application, but passing from Apache HTTP /
connector
xx.xx.xx.185 - - [24/Jan/2007:10:58:24 +0000] "GET
/jsp-examples/sessions/carts.jsp?item=X-files+movie&submit=add HTTP/1.1"
404 94 "http://www.xxxxxxx.eu/jsp-examples/sessions/carts.html"
"Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; it; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060425
SUSE/1.5.0.3-7 Firefox/1.5.0.3"

Here belowe the configuration I'm using for the Virtual-Host on Apache
HTTP and the worker
<VirtualHost *:80>
     ServerName www.xxxxxxxxx.eu
     JkMount /* tomcat559Saturn
</VirtualHost>

worker.list=tomcat559Saturn,jboss322Pluto
worker.tomcat559Saturn.type=ajp13
worker.tomcat559Saturn.port=8009
worker.tomcat559Saturn.host=saturn.domain.com
worker.jboss322Pluto.type=ajp13
worker.jboss322Pluto.port=8009
worker.jboss322Pluto.host=pluto.domain.com

This what I think:
on both Tomcat and JBoss the problem occurs when I try to set values in
the session. It only happens when I post the data trough Apache HTTP and
the Connector.
I'm probably missing some configurations in the Virtual-Host which
refers to cookies, session or path.

Can anyone tell me where is the problem and possibly how I can solve it?

Re: session and AJP

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
alessandro.ilardo@my-sandro.net schrieb:
> I'm trying to set up an AJP connector between Apache 2 (red hat) and
> Tomcat 5.5 (red hat) running on two different servers.
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName server2.domain.com
> DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
> JkMount /id/admin/* tomcat559
> </VirtualHost>

OK, no rules for jboss322, so we can ignore this worker.

> worker.list=tomcat559,jboss322
> worker.tomcat559.maintain=60

Drop the maintain line, it will not do anything.

> worker.tomcat559.type=ajp13
> worker.tomcat559.port=8009
> worker.tomcat559.host=intServer.domain.com
> worker.jboss322.maintain=60

Drop the maintain line, it will not do anything.

> worker.jboss322.type=ajp13
> worker.jboss322.port=8009
> worker.jboss322.host=server3.domain.com
>
> If I call the following url
> http://server2.domain.com/id/admin/

/id/ or /im/ (which you wrote above)?

> The web application running on Tomcat correctly asks me for a user
> identification. Once I enter the user name and password a file not found
> back to me.
>
> Error. The file was not found.
> filename = /etc/httpd/htdocs/im/admin/index.jsp

Activate the access log in tomcat and check what's in the Tomcat access
log. Check if the URL occuring there is what you expect.

> On Tomcat I get the following message
> [Channel Socket] Connection timeout reached
>

> I also made a test with the sample application which is included in the Tomcat installation.
>  /jsp-examples/sessions/carts.html
> and it reported the same kind of error while inside the firewall, with a url like this
> http://intServer.domain.com:8080/jsp-examples/sessions/carts.html
> the sample application works fine.

Which firewall?

> I guess my problem is related to the session and connector.
> Can anyone tell me how to fix it?
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Regards
> Alessandro Ilardo