Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by ba...@mssm.edu on 2000/10/06 00:12:25 UTC

Re[2]: huge performance hit when separating apache and jserv

Gunnar,

I don't know much about LocalDirector, so this may be a stupid question,
but anyway: If you used sessions, how did you bind a Session to a
particular server?   You couldn't have by using JServ without hitting
the same performance problem, as jserv would still need to re-route
session bound requests to the appropriate app servers.

Regards,
Barnabas

Subject: Re: huge performance hit when separating apache and jserv
Author:  <ge...@jakarta.apache.org> at Internet-Mail
Date:    10/5/00 1:14 PM

barnabas.wolf@mssm.edu writes:

> Has anyone else seen (and better yet, solved) this problem?

I've seen it, but I didn't have the time to solve the problem. We just did
load balancing on web server level using Cisco LocalDirector instead.

Regards,

        Gunnar

Re: Re[2]: huge performance hit when separating apache and jserv

Posted by Gunnar R|nning <gu...@candleweb.no>.
barnabas.wolf@mssm.edu writes:

> Gunnar,
>
> I don't know much about LocalDirector, so this may be a stupid question,
> but anyway: If you used sessions, how did you bind a Session to a
> particular server?   You couldn't have by using JServ without hitting
> the same performance problem, as jserv would still need to re-route
> session bound requests to the appropriate app servers.

It's not a stupid question. The reason we went with this solution was that
the servlet application in question did not make use of sessions.
But if you need sessions I would suggest you start profiling/debugging
mod_jserv and JServ to find the culprit. Use the source :-)

regards,

	Gunnar