Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2006/07/28 14:00:14 UTC

Can we store all docs in Daisy?

We have currently a split storage for our docs (and different ways to
update the docs). While the main docs for a version of Cocoon are stored
in Daisy, the more general stuff, is stored in the cocoon-site module in
the forrest format.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the same storage and way of editing
for the whole site? What does it take to move the remaining docs into
Daisy as well?

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: Can we store all docs in Daisy?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:
> Ross Gardler said the following on 28/7/06 15:43:
>>> Sounds great :) Has someone time to do this? :)
>> HeHe, and there's the problem.
>>
>> First job is to create the new collection from the docs in SVN. Bruno
>> wrote some scripts to do the original import, I guess these can be used
>> again. Bruno?
>
> I can't imagine there are many of these docs, so, just to be sure, if
> you tell me which ones you mean, I'll "import" them by hand.

All docs current stored here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/

Thanks

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Ross Gardler said the following on 28/7/06 15:43:
>> Sounds great :) Has someone time to do this? :)
>
> HeHe, and there's the problem.
>
> First job is to create the new collection from the docs in SVN. Bruno
> wrote some scripts to do the original import, I guess these can be used
> again. Bruno?

I can't imagine there are many of these docs, so, just to be sure, if
you tell me which ones you mean, I'll "import" them by hand.

> Once they are in Daisy I will do my best to find the time to modify the
> Forrest config. No promises, I'm realy busy right now, but it will be on
> my ToDo list. If someone else wants to tackle it I *will* make time to
> guide them. Having more people understand how it works is a priority.

Can't promise anything, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Bye, Helma

Re: Can we store all docs in Daisy?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>hepabolu wrote:

>>>I'm not absolutely sure, but we could, as an itermediate solution,
>>>create a separate collection in Daisy in which we move those documents,
>>>which are then exported in the same way as the current Daisy docs. I
>>>don't think it would be much work to configure Forrest to do this.
>>
>>You are correct, this should not be too much work.
>>

> Sounds great :) Has someone time to do this? :)

HeHe, and there's the problem.

First job is to create the new collection from the docs in SVN. Bruno
wrote some scripts to do the original import, I guess these can be used
again. Bruno?

Once they are in Daisy I will do my best to find the time to modify the
Forrest config. No promises, I'm realy busy right now, but it will be on
my ToDo list. If someone else wants to tackle it I *will* make time to
guide them. Having more people understand how it works is a priority.

Ross

Re: Can we store all docs in Daisy?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler said the following on 28/7/06 14:00:
>
>> We have currently a split storage for our docs (and different ways to
>> update the docs). While the main docs for a version of Cocoon are stored
>> in Daisy, the more general stuff, is stored in the cocoon-site module in
>> the forrest format.
>>
>> Wouldn't it make more sense to use the same storage and way of editing
>> for the whole site? What does it take to move the remaining docs into
>> Daisy as well?
>

> Yes it would, but the problem lies in the way the URLs are handled.
> Worst case would be that the entire navigation of Daisy should be
> changed to reflect the correct layout.
>
> I'm not absolutely sure, but we could, as an itermediate solution,
> create a separate collection in Daisy in which we move those documents,
> which are then exported in the same way as the current Daisy docs. I
> don't think it would be much work to configure Forrest to do this.

You are correct, this should not be too much work.

> Note, that would be for the more "static" documents. I'm not sure if the
> changes page should be built using Daisy.

No the changes should continue to be built using the status.xml since
that will be updated with commits to SVN, moving this to Daisy adds
another step.

Ross

Re: Can we store all docs in Daisy?

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.