Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/06 12:57:37 UTC

NOTICE and LICENSE [WAS Re: [VOTE] Release Hama 0.3-incubating (RC2)]

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

(Apologies if I've missed any changes in Apache policy - please jump
in and correct me)

> 1. as I understand it, notices and licenses for 3rd party products should
> not go in NOTICE and LICENSE, but should go in DEPENDENCIES.  This can be
> generated automatically using maven-remote-resources-plugin; missing
> information can go in supplemental-models.xml file.  The
> apache-incubator-disclaimer-resource-bundle (for
> maven-remote-resources-plugin) also allows the DEPENDENCIES text to be
> customized.

AIUI DEPENDENCIES is fine for plain libraries [5]. Providing that the
information is complete, then it's ok for other stuff but best
practice is to ship every license as text, rather than by reference.
(To use a public license, you need to be issued with a copy. So, it's
convenient to be able to have a copy included by Apache.)

> 2. The NOTICE, in particular, should not be modified at all.  I know there
> are many Apache projects that haven't caught up with this guidance,

AIUI the Apache policy on NOTICEs remains the same [1] include only
what's required and nothing more. For most projects, this means the
plain NOTICE but there are some exceptional cases, for example [2] and
[4].

One day hopefully this complexity will be automated...

Robert

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
[2] when a project includes source licensed as per [3]
[3] a license requiring an attribution NOTICE of some kind
[4] shipped an artifact licensed as per [3] without including it's
NOTICE (some jars in Maven central fall into this category eg. some
spring releases)
[5] ie those that don't aggregate dependencies

Re: NOTICE and LICENSE [WAS Re: [VOTE] Release Hama 0.3-incubating (RC2)]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...Relating to the NOTICE file, it would seem that [1] is inconsistent with
>> [2].  If these discussions on legal did occur, then it would seem that
>> no-one on the legal team updated [1] to reflect new policy.
>
> I think [1] is correct, the important bit is that NOTICE is for
> *required* third-party notices, the idea is to minimize what's in
> there.
>
> See also related discussions here:
> http://markmail.org/message/ik3o5vl24o57lfsx
> http://markmail.org/message/a5xkiggxirc77xnv

(Thanks for digging out these links 8-)

This is the way I understand the situation as well

>> [1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
>> [2] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRRESOURCES-32

IMO generating and verify that assembled applications have correct
LICENSE and NOTICE attributes is not trivial, and requires tooling
beyond remote-resources...

Robert

Re: NOTICE and LICENSE [WAS Re: [VOTE] Release Hama 0.3-incubating (RC2)]

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Dan,

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Relating to the NOTICE file, it would seem that [1] is inconsistent with
> [2].  If these discussions on legal did occur, then it would seem that
> no-one on the legal team updated [1] to reflect new policy.

I think [1] is correct, the important bit is that NOTICE is for
*required* third-party notices, the idea is to minimize what's in
there.

See also related discussions here:
http://markmail.org/message/ik3o5vl24o57lfsx
http://markmail.org/message/a5xkiggxirc77xnv