Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Andreas Huser <ah...@7five-edv.de> on 2013/07/17 11:57:09 UTC

Memory Overcommit + KVM

Hello at all,

i have two KVM Hypervisors with equal RAM à 16GB
In the Cloudstack zone resource tab can i read "Allocated: 15.30 GB / 31.13 GB".

When i configure memory overcommit *2 and restart the Cloud Manager. I see the same "Allocated: 15.30 GB / 31.13 GB"
Must this not now like e.g "Allocated: 15.30 GB / 62.26GB"  to be?

many thanks
Regards Andreas

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Andreas Huser
Geschäftsführer
System Engineer / Consultant
(Cisco Certified Solaris, Linux)

---------------------------------------
Zellerstraße 28 - 77654 Offenburg
Tel: +49(781) 1278689 0
Mobil: +49(176) 10308549
ahuser@7five-edv.de

Re: Memory Overcommit + KVM

Posted by Bryan Whitehead <dr...@megahappy.net>.
Jump into your mysql cloud db. Run this:
select op.id, name, total_capacity from op_host_capacity op, host h
where op.capacity_type=0 and op.host_id=h.id;
(my example output from a test cloud)
+----+-------------+----------------+
| id | name        | total_capacity |
+----+-------------+----------------+
|  8 | node0.cloud |    50373124096 |
| 10 | node1.cloud |    50373124096 |
+----+-------------+----------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

After, just run an update to double up the capacity for each host you
want to over-commit.

Example:
update op_host_capacity set total_capacity=50373124096 where id=8;
update op_host_capacity set total_capacity=50373124096 where id=10;

Note: I've already doubled up the capacity on these boxes.

Re: Memory Overcommit + KVM

Posted by Arnaud Gaillard <ar...@xtendsys.net>.

Re: Memory Overcommit + KVM

Posted by Andreas Huser <ah...@7five-edv.de>.