Posted to kerby@directory.apache.org by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com> on 2016/04/21 23:24:13 UTC

RE: Eclipse format and cleanup configurations

Hi Gerard,

We don’t have such a format file, but it looks a good idea to document the format somewhere.
AFAIK, the coding style we’re following is:

1.       Over classical SUN Java coding style;

2.       4 spaces instead of a tab;

3.       4 spaces indent;

4.       120 chars width limit in a line, but mostly preferred, 80 chars;

5.       Don’t reformat if you don’t change the file; only do it for the part you’re changing;

6.       No star(*) in imports.

It’s just some loose rules often seen in many ASF projects. In my experience, I keep some typical settings in my IDE (I’m an old Eclipse fun, but now prefer IDEA) and switch among them according to projects.

Regards,
Kai

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Yeah, you're right. I will do that.

Regards,
Kai

You can define and export a formatter for eclipse. This is what we did for apacheds : it's vonvenient for those who want to propose patches !

Le jeudi 21 avril 2016, Zheng, Kai <ka...@intel.com> a écrit :

> Hi Gerard,
>
> We don’t have such a format file, but it looks a good idea to document
> the format somewhere.
> AFAIK, the coding style we’re following is:
>
> 1.       Over classical SUN Java coding style;
>
> 2.       4 spaces instead of a tab;
>
> 3.       4 spaces indent;
>
> 4.       120 chars width limit in a line, but mostly preferred, 80 chars;
>
> 5.       Don’t reformat if you don’t change the file; only do it for the
> part you’re changing;
>
> 6.       No star(*) in imports.
>
> It’s just some loose rules often seen in many ASF projects. In my
> experience, I keep some typical settings in my IDE (I’m an old Eclipse
> fun, but now prefer IDEA) and switch among them according to projects.
>
> Regards,
> Kai

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Eclipse format and cleanup configurations

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
You can define and export a formatter for eclipse. This is what we did for
apacheds : it's vonvenient for those who want to propose patches !

Le jeudi 21 avril 2016, Zheng, Kai <ka...@intel.com> a écrit :

> Hi Gerard,
>
> We don’t have such a format file, but it looks a good idea to document the
> format somewhere.
> AFAIK, the coding style we’re following is:
>
> 1.       Over classical SUN Java coding style;
>
> 2.       4 spaces instead of a tab;
>
> 3.       4 spaces indent;
>
> 4.       120 chars width limit in a line, but mostly preferred, 80 chars;
>
> 5.       Don’t reformat if you don’t change the file; only do it for the
> part you’re changing;
>
> 6.       No star(*) in imports.
>
> It’s just some loose rules often seen in many ASF projects. In my
> experience, I keep some typical settings in my IDE (I’m an old Eclipse fun,
> but now prefer IDEA) and switch among them according to projects.
>
> Regards,
> Kai

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny