Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by Ashwin Siddharth <as...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/09 17:25:50 UTC

Storm Source Code

Hi,
I am Ashwin,
I am a Storm Developer,I want to make changes to the storm source code and
build the Code with the existing changes,

Problems faced:
1)Making changes to EvenScheduler.java,when I do git checkout tags/v1.2.2,
the storm-server folder no longer exists, the final built code , doesn't
reflect the changes made in the scheduler, the log files print the old
log-messages , not the newly changed ones.

2)Secondly, I tried to make changes to EvenScheduler.clj as git checkout
removes storm-server, I thought I could make changes in the storm-core
directory.But again the changes made were not reflected in the log files.

3)Third try , I did git checkout tags/v1.2.2 and made changes to the
nimbus.clj file followed by mvn clean install, with storm-server no longer
present , I thought it would be better to make changes to the nimbus.clj
file in the storm-core directory, as it was also seconded by the nimbus.log
file which showed - "o.a.s.d-.... followed by a nimbus log message".Yet
again , I could not see the changes made in the nimbus.log file.

4)I tried making similar changes to various other clj files and looking for
changes in the corresponding log files, again I could not notice any
changes.

5)Building without the git checkout command , does not produce the
apache-tar file in the target directory.

So,From all this , I couldn't infer where I am going wrong , am I making
mistakes in building the code or am I making mistakes in making changes to
the source code.It would be very helpful if I could get a way out of
this.Can you Please help me figure out how to successfully make changes to
code and observe the changes made.

Warm regards,
Ashwin S

Re: Storm Source Code

Posted by Stig Rohde Døssing <st...@gmail.com>.
1) Storm-server is a new module in 2.0.0/the current master. In 1.x the
classes in storm-server were in the storm-core module. You should make your
changes there instead.

2-4) There is probably something wrong with either how you're building
Storm or how you're deploying it. "mvn clean install -DskipTests" in the
project root will build Storm. Then you should go into storm-dist/binary
(storm-dist/binary/final-package for master) and run "mvn clean package
-Dgpg.skip" to produce the final tar/zip, which will be somewhere in the
storm-dist/target directory. You can then extract this tar/zip to wherever
you want Storm installed.

5) Could you elaborate? If you don't do "git checkout <commit/tag>", you're
likely just building Storm from master, so remember to go into
storm-dist/binary/final-package instead of storm-dist/binary.

If it still doesn't work please list each command you run, starting from a
clean checkout of Storm, it will be easier to tell what's going wrong that
way.

Den fre. 9. nov. 2018 kl. 18.24 skrev Ashwin Siddharth <ashwinsid6@gmail.com