Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com> on 2012/10/10 04:47:30 UTC

Hadoop/Lucene + Solr architecture suggestions?

Hi,

if I create a Lucene index in each mapper, locally, then copy them to under
/jobid/mapid1, /jodid/mapid2, and then in the reducers copy them to some
Solr machine (perhaps even merging), does such architecture makes sense, to
create a searchable index with Hadoop?

Are there links for similar architectures and questions?

Thank you. Sincerely,
Mark

Re: Hadoop/Lucene + Solr architecture suggestions?

Posted by Ivan Frain <iv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

I don't know Lucene/Solr very well but your question made me remember the
lily project: http://www.lilyproject.org/lily/index.html. They use
hadoop/hbase and solr to provide a searchable data management platform.

Maybe you will find ideas in their documentation.

BR,
Ivan

--
Ivan Frain
11, route de Grenade

Re: Hadoop/Lucene + Solr architecture suggestions?

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
That is very interesting, Lance, thank you.

Mark

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
Your mileage will vary.  I find that this exact motion is what makes reduce
side indexing very attractive since it allows precise sharding control.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by JAY <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by JAY <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by JAY <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by JAY <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "M. C. Srivas" <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "M. C. Srivas" <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "M. C. Srivas" <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "M. C. Srivas" <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ivan Frain <iv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

--
Ivan Frain
11, route de Grenade

Re: Hadoop/Lucene + Solr architecture suggestions?

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ivan Frain <iv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

--
Ivan Frain
11, route de Grenade

Re: Hadoop/Lucene + Solr architecture suggestions?

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ivan Frain <iv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,