Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Curtis Vaughan <cu...@npc-usa.com> on 2004/11/02 23:32:25 UTC

[users@httpd] mime module in Apache

Using apache 1.3.31 on Debian 3.0 (kernel 2.6)

When I try to add the following line:

AddModule mod_mime.c

to /etc/apache/modules.conf I get an error trying to start up apache.
Running config test I get:

> apachectl configtest
> Syntax error on line 8 of /etc/apache/modules.conf:
> Cannot add module via name 'mod_mime.c': not in list of loaded modules

What do I need to do?

Also, let me explain why I am adding this module. Perhaps I'm going
about it wrong.
We are now hosting a Russian language web page. When you go to that
page it won't start up in Russian no matter what you do on the client
side.  I thought there was a problem with the "charset=" line in the
html file. But then I was told that the problem is that you have to
enable apache to use a foreign language as a possible default language.

One thing I did was add the following text in httpd.conf for this
virtual host:

<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /var/www/VirtualHost/
ServerName www.VirtualHost.com
DefaultLanguage ru
LanguagePriority ru

But I also noticed the docs on Content Negotiation at:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html
which led me to the idea that I need to install a mime module. Anyhow,
I'm quite confused at this point and hope somebody can give me some
direction.

Curtis Vaughan

Re: [users@httpd] mime module in Apache

Posted by Curtis Vaughan <cu...@npc-usa.com>.
Actually the line:

LoadModule mime_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_mime.so

is in my /etc/apache/module.s.conf file

Also, I have removed the line:

which I had manually added from the modules.conf file. Was that a
mistake?
I also note that according to the modules.conf file I shouldn't make
any changes to the file, but instead I should

# Autogenerated file - do not edit!
# This file is maintained by the apache package.
# To update it, run the command:
#    /usr/sbin/apache-modconf apache

So, does this mean that after I added the AddModule mod_mime.c line, I
should have issues the command /usr/sbin/apache-modconf apache ?

Curtis

Posted by Ralf Glauberman <rg...@michaeli-gymnasium.de>.

Posted by Curtis Vaughan <cu...@npc-usa.com>.

Posted by Ralf Glauberman <rg...@michaeli-gymnasium.de>.